RE: Theological Attack On Public Schools

Ted Moffett writes:

> Concerning the claim that theological debates are not appropriate for
"nuts
> and bolts" discussions of Moscow's future, consider the impact on
funding
> for Moscow's public education of certain religious groups in Moscow
(via
> their votes), who have vocally stated their opposition to funding
public
> schools, or what they sometimes term "government schools."  And also
> consider that the raison d'etre of this effort to withdraw
> financial support for the public schools is quite clearly asserted, by
Doug
> Jones and Doug Wilson and others following their logic, to be some of
the
> very theological ideas discussed on vision2020 that some want off the
list.  I find it
> humorous that Doug Jones asserts that some of the theological debates
he
> employs to undermine "agnostic" public education, are some of the very
same
> debates he appears to define as not relevant for discussion on
vision2020.

Saundra Lund amen's:

> As Mr. Moffett points out, there is an organized
> theologically-based group within our community that advocates
> doing away with public schools, among other things.  If a
> discussion such as that doesn't belong here, I'd be hard
> pressed to think of appropriate topics of discussion.

There are sufficient theological reasons for Christians not sending
their children to pagan government schools. That's a no-brainer --
education is religious.

However, you make it sound like this is some kind of a religious
conspiracy isolated to Moscow. However, it is not only the Christians
across the country that are crying for a dismantling of the government
schools. All you have to do is read any of the (secular) economic
literature on education and a significant number of economists note that
government education (like any other nonmarket-driven "product" that the
"government" produces) is inferior, costly, and can always be done
better by private industry. That's why out-sourcing is so prevalent in
the state and federal government. Add into that mix the labor unions'
self-preservation and self-needs over and against the needs of the
children, and this becomes an easy decision.

Finally, there need be no proactive work to dismantle the government
schools. The educational establishment has been doing a wonderful job of
that themselves; that's why parents are voting with their feet.

Do you know that within 15 years in Moscow, there will be more children
educated *outside* the government schools than within their walls? And
the liberals will still be screaming for more and more money to educate
fewer and fewer children. That's corporate insanity. Welcome to
liberalism.

Dale Courtney
Moscow, Idaho

Back to TOC