FW: Water update/poachers

One thing to note, this is daily use, so does the average household run the
dishwasher once per day?  My guess is no.  Also, as Ed pointed out, it is
per capita, so the dishwasher number is not outside the realm of
possibility.

The "Leaks" category is questionable and may truly be an "other" or
"unaccounted for" category.  However, I have some experience with flow rates
in industrial settings, and it does not take a large leak to get 10 gallons
per day.  This is about 6 cups an hour, and I have seen some kitchen faucets
that do at least half that regularly.  If all other faucets in the house are
in the same state of repair, you will get 10 gallons easily in one day.

So, while surprising, "Leaks" represent a large opportunity for water
conservation with relatively little cost and (probably) no detriments (such
as brown grass, dead veggies, etc.).

Devin

Back to TOC