Re: Death Penalty: vision 2020: Eric E.

Eric E, and others:

Eric, I guess we must start over.

I did not confuse your doubt about the guilt or innocence of a particular
man condemned to death with your overall conviction that the death penalty
is commanded by God.  My reason, as clearly stated in my previous
communications, which used the wording "...Christian thinkers who are at
polar opposites on the death penalty, both for and completely against," was
to highlight the disagreement about the validity of whether the death
penalty OVERALL is moral under Christian ethics.  You responded to this
question "I would love to read them, but I would always have in mind that
one side of the issue must be right, EVEN IF I AM NEVER ABLE TO FULLY
DETERMINE WHICH."  (caps added)

Where is my confusion?  Please read over what you wrote in direct response
to my statements about Christian scholars who are at polar opposites on the
death penalty.

As far as you doubting the integrity or genuineness of the Christian
scholars who disagree with the moral validity of the death penalty, is not
the Pope one of the most powerful and respected representatives of
Christianity in the world?  And is not his knowledge of Scripture excellent?
  He has clearly stated his opposition to the death penalty, and this was
long before his current health decline.  You must know that almost all of
mostly Christian Europe has outlawed the death penalty, by the way?  So you
must be saying most of Christian Europe is violating God's divine will?
Along with the Pope, who millions of Catholics believe in certain decrees
(ex cathedra), speaks with divine revelation?  I have some of the actual
documents from the Vatican that argue against the death penalty, and I will
post these in the future.
It appears some rather "heavy hitters" in Christianity disagree with you.

You call the Bible "miraculous" and give other evidence that it must have
been divined inspired.  But you really are not exploring all the
contradictions and inaccuracies in the Bible, which are well documented,
even advocated ethical conduct that contradicts each other.

And my basic claim is still correct that other competing religious documents
make the same claims you are making regarding the Bible about their
religious documents (the Koran etc, even Nostradamus). And the flawed and
imperfect human mind must make judgments about which book is "more
miraculous" than the other.  I have heard devout Muslims argue vehemently
about the perfection of the Koran, everything stated in it being accurate,
proving it's divine miraculous inspiration.

There are many guides to ethical human behavior, Eric.  It is not your
religion or nothing!  In Japan their are very strict ethical rules that lead
them to a society that in some ways is more moral than the USA, yet they are
overwhelmingly NON-CHRISTIAN.  If your ethical guidelines were so critical,
and worship and belief in your God so necessary for "salvation,"  how do you
explain highly moral behavior (even by your standards!) by non-believers in
Christianity?  Are not there millions of kind and honest and gentle and
loving Hindus and Buddhists and Muslims in the world?  I am not really
expecting you to explain this, only hoping it will give you pause for
thought about being less dogmatically convinced your religion is the only
valid one.

Well, I could address a few more points, but the above few are enough for
now, especially when one of my main points appears to have been
misunderstood when I referred to the disagreement in Christianity over the
death penalty overall, which I thought you were answering, only to find you
say you were not answering that question.  The question still remains,
though I think at this point I will have to start quoting the Biblical
scholars who disagree with you to make my point more pointed!

And I think my point about flawed human minds trying to determine which
religious document is "more miraculous" than others still is on the table!

Thanks for your reply!

Ted