Re: Is Moscow Growing Too Fast?

I can't resist an opportunity to discuss Alturas....
Bill Strand reworked John Danahy's sentence about Alturas to read:

"We have seen a business incubator park fail to develop as many new
businesses as had been hoped"

Agreed.  However, it is incomplete.  I suggest a more accurate sentence would
continue as follows:

"We have seen a business incubator park fail to develop as many new
businesses as had been hoped...and so we are witnessing the rejection of the
original mission of the park as a magnet for high-tech industries and the
creation of a new directive for the park as a place for accountants, lawyers,
stock brokers and other professionals who want to move out of downtown Moscow
and into a tax-supported mall sprawling at the edge of town."
BL

--------
Bill Strand wrote:

> John,
>
> When referring to the growth in Moscow, perhaps you could be more accurate
> in your complaints. You wrote:
>
> "We have seen a business incubator park fail to develop new businesses and
> become the home of current businesses instead"
>
> As one of the founders of Pacific Simulation, I can accurately say that
> Pacific Simulation was a business heading out of town (like other high tech
> companies) for lack of facilities. Alturas kept us here and helped fuel our
> growth. I guess if put in the most negative light, Pacific Simulation might
> have been considered a "current business" - but one headed to a more
> business friendly environment. A more accurate statement might have been:
>
> "We have seen a business incubator park fail to develop as many new
> businesses as had been hoped"
>
> You express many legitimate questions. But by blurring the facts, you weaken
> your arguments. As to your other issues, I am not in a position to evaluate
> their validity. Personally, I voted for the pool, for the schools and for
> the fire station. I believe all of these are positive aspects for Moscow as
> did the majority of voters.
>
> Bill Strand
> Pacific Simulation

Back to TOC