Moscow 2002-13: A Parent's Concerns / Questions

Dear Mr. Mayor, City Council Members, and Visionaries,

As all should know by now, I am vehemently opposed to Moscow Ordinance
No. 2002-13 for too many reasons to list again here.

However, in discussing this misguided ordinance with other parents, it
has occurred to me that we know *nothing* about how this specific
ordinance will be handled with respect to our minor female children, one
of this community's most precious resources.  This should be a concern
not just of parents, but of every member of our community.

Can someone please tell me exactly how perceived ordinance violations by
minor female children will be handled by law enforcement (Moscow Police
Department), step-by-step?  Tell me all . . . leave out no detail
because many parents have grave concerns about the process.  Perhaps
education by those in the know will put some fears to rest, but I'll be
honest in saying that I've got my doubts.

If I'm directing this question, and some of the specific concerns listed
below, to the wrong people, please direct me to the appropriate
person(s) to ask.

Surely the City Council considered how the ordinance would be handled
with respect to our female children before passing it.  Or, did they
just pass that delicate buck on to Chief Weaver and his officers to
puzzle through? The ordinance has been "on the books" for a month now,
and a significant percentage of the violations I've seen have been by
female minor children, so this isn't a trivial concern.

Surely risk management would dictate thorough consideration and strict
guidelines and specific training be in place before implementation of an
ordinance that probes into extremely private matters with our female
children when the risk of damage to our daughters from inappropriate
handling is so significant.

To give you an idea of the types of questions parents, and their
children, are asking, I'll list some specific questions and concerns.

What are the steps an officer will take when (s)he subjectively decides
that a minor female is in violation?  Will that child be approached, or
is there an official or unofficial "hands-and-eyes off" policy?  If
that's the case, then why wasn't the law written to *exclude* our minor
daughters?

Since "education" is part of the stated law enforcement strategy with
respect to this ordinance, what language will be used to "warn" our
prepubescent, pubescent, and postpubescent daughters?  Are there
illustrations or educational drawings that will be used to "educate" our
daughters?  If so, where and when can the public review those materials?

(Incidentally, virtually all the parents I've spoken with think such an
educational visual aide would be helpful **for their own use*** since
the actual language of the ordinance is thought to be unintelligible to
most minor children and many adults.)

A group of ten-to-thirteen-year-old-girls asked me to pass along the
following:  "Why is it OK for cops to stare at our chests when it's not
OK for *anyone* to stare at our chests?"

Assuming there isn't a "hands-and-eyes off" policy with respect to our
daughters, when an officer perceives a violation, will our daughters be
detained, either to "educate" them or cite them?  Will any questioning
or discussion be held until parents are present?

Exactly *how* will an officer determine that a violation has, in fact,
occurred?  Will the police be requiring our daughters to take off their
shirts, leotards, or bathing suit tops???  If so, who will be present?

Since whether or not the ordinance applies to a female depends on
whether she's started menstruating or not, will the police be asking our
daughters this question?  Will her word be enough, or will you require
confirmation from her parents, or will a doctor's statement be required?

What specific training has our law enforcement received to be able to
appropriately ask our daughters such intensely personal and private
questions???

These are but a few of the questions and concerns parents and their
daughters are expressing after having some time (something the City
Council seemed to feel they were short of in the rapid adoption of this
ordinance) to think about how this will affect their lives.

One father made the following comment to me:  "You know, I didn't really
pay too much attention to this whole thing when it came up.  But, now
that I see how far into my daughter's private life this lets the law,
I'm totally against it and mad as h*ll that the City Council didn't
think this thing through."

A mother made the following comment:  "What gives this city the right to
second-guess me about a piece of clothing *I* determined was appropriate
and bought for my daughters at The Bon or the Emporium or any other
merchant here in town?  I'm not thrilled about the notion of a topless
carwash, but I think that's a whole lot less objectionable than having
the police looking at my daughter's chest and asking her, or me, for
that matter, questions about her periods, for God's sake!  I think we've
got good cops, but I sure don't want them asking my daughters *these*
kinds of things!"

I look forward to hearing back from anyone who can shed any light on how
this ordinance will be applied with respect to our young daughters.

Saundra Lund
Moscow, Idaho

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to
do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Back to TOC