Re: race card

Hello Visionaries,

I just came across the following information.

It is interesting the fact that slavery was introduced into this country
by a balck man, and thousands of free black owned slaves. This subject was
mentioned in AMERICAN HERITAGE, Feb./Mar. 1993 (vol. 441) under the title
Selling Poor Steven beginning on page 90. Citing the official US Census of
1830, there were3,775 free blacks who owned 12,740 black slaves.

Furthermore, the story outlines the history of slavery here, and the first
slave owner, the Father of American Slavery, was Mr. Anthony Johnson, of
Northampton VA. His slave was John Casor, the first slave for life. Both
were black Africans. This is part of Virginia's history that deserves
attention.

The story is very readable, and outlines cases of free black women owning
their husbands, free black parents selling their children into slavery to
white owners, and absentee free black slave owners, who leased their slaves
to plantation owners, among other things. Most libraries carry back issues
of American Heritage.

Another interesting book on the same subject is Free Negro Owners of Slaves
in the United States in 1830, by the noted black historian, Carter G.
Woodson. This book lists the names and address of free blacks who owned
slaves. Among them is one George C. Washington of Washington DC.

Cheers!
John Harrell