The Straw Man Argument? Christian Ayatollah? A Few Jokes, But No Bickering!

Dale and relevant others:

This is my second post to vision2020 today.  I will submit to my public
flogging!

I just looked up "Religion" in a dictionary and the first definition is:

1. A.  Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded
as creator and governor of the universe.
   B.  A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and
worship.

It is this meaning of the word religion I was referring to.  Your much more
open and loosely defined definition of "Religion" would allow my ridiculous
example of the fanatical basketball fan to claim he has found "Religion"
with the game of basketball and all the culture and values that surround it.
  Surely this is not what YOU mean by "Religion," is it?  If so, I
misunderstood.  And I wonder what is your point if you define religion this
way?  I was clearly distinguishing the difference between religion in the
sense defined above, and those who do not take such a "Religious" view of
the "Universe."  For you to say everyone has a religion in that very loose
and vaguely defined meaning of religion is not to say very much of anything!

Yes, of course I have a "...cause, principle or system of beliefs held to
with ardor and faith."  Actually the word "faith" trips me up.  I was going
to say I support efforts to achieve world peace as a "...cause, principle or
system of beliefs held to with ardor and..." but I really have no "faith" it
will ever happen.  It is perfectly possible the human race will continue to
slaughter each other till the sun expands into a red giant star and turns
the earth into a cinder, which is the ultimate fate of earth, unless we move
the earth away from the sun, or there is an error in the predictions for
stellar evolution.  The extremists of politics and religion and other points
of view (Marxism and even Capitalism would be a religion according to your
loose definition) who think they must kill to enforce their power and
ideological authority upon everyone will do their best to keep war alive!
Nonetheless, I think the effort to end war a noble one.

There are more "Religions" in the world than I can count.  I'm sure there
are people who make any cause into a religion according to your loose
definition.  So what?  Actually though, I find this interesting because with
an open ended definition of "Religion" maybe we can now establish the
"Church of the Divine Constitution" (put aside for a moment that silly
debate about separation of church and state) so that the US Federal
Constitution will be safe from the rabid charges of relativism coming from
the relativistic Christian Right!  Just joshing!

You gave no answer to my defense against your claim that I used a straw man
argument regarding my questions about the establishment of a Christian
state.  I gave the example you asked for of a Christian who is like the
Ayatollah ruling a state in my example of the Catholic Pope and the Vatican.
  The Pope is in some ways like a Christian version of an Ayatollah and he
rules a state called the Vatican, with great wealth and powers extending all
over the world.
So there are people who support and advocate a Christian version of an
Ayatollah.  The Pope has been all over the news lately.  He gets as much
coverage as the US President when he travels!

As to this talk of humanism being a religion, people who think this way need
a divine revelation to guarantee the absolute eternal validity of their
ethical system under all circumstances, say a huge face speaking in a
booming voice (male of course with a beard) coming out of a billowing
lighted cloud with angels and trumpets blasting proclaiming the truths of
their ethical system from some transcendent realm.  Then they would no
longer be dreaded "relativists."  But could there be a divinely (a
contradiction, some might say) inspired "humanism?"  Let's hope not, for
your sake.  You'd might be in a pickle then.  You might have to go to war to
settle the ultimate absolute authority on this issue. Well, that is unless
you truly followed Christ's teachings about turning the other cheek and
loving your enemies, unlike those other relativistic Christians who kill and
make war in the name of God. I would be on the sideline trying to referee
and make peace because I don't believe in Religion, which would probably
mean both sides would want to crucify me for my impartial reasonableness!
I'm just joking, but with a point, if you catch my drift?

Peace.

Ted