Re: Vera-lent tolerance: Politically Correct Liberal Agenda?

Visionaries!

Freedom of speech!  Isn't it wonderful?  But certain to offend someone
somehow.  We hear much about so called "liberals,", who ostensibly stand for
the protection of this constitutionally guaranteed "right," actually
promoting a narrow minded "politically correct" stealth campaign of
censorship to keep opinions that do not fit said "liberal" agenda off the
public stage of debate.  Although I in some respects fit the mold of this
"liberal" agenda, I have been personally attacked for expressing viewpoints
that do not fit this mold, that I was merely voicing for the sake of
argument, etc., by others who thought I was some kind of monster for
entertaining these thoughts.

I think a good education for everyone would involve being able to
convincingly argue against one's most cherished beliefs, a antidote perhaps
to mindless dogmatism and intolerance, two aspects of human consciousness
that create much misunderstanding and pain.  So I pride myself on being able
to play devil's advocate for any point of view, a habit certain to make some
enemies.

Let the floodgates of open ended debate flow forth from all corners!  If
anyone disagrees with this assertion, they must not really have a firm
belief in the principles of democracy.  Sadly, it appears there are many who
DO lack this belief.  Completely open rational freedom of speech frightens,
upsets and angers those we are convinced their beliefs are beyond challenge,
and threatens the powerful and privileged.

We are left with the cynical conclusion that true freedom of thought and
speech is not really supported by many in our culture, when most people
entertain the thought, in secret and/or subconsciously or unabashedly
admitting in the intellectual atmosphere created by a war mentality, that
control of debate and information is a way to wage an intellectual campaign
to, using plain language, brainwash those they seek to control.

Ted