RE: A modest proposal

Amen,  44 messages a day is WAY too much.

Jerry L. Schutz

-----Original Message-----
From: Kenton Bird [mailto:kentonbird@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 02:21 PM
To: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: A modest proposal

Visionaries,

>From 1982 to 1992 (with the exception of about 10 months in 1988-1989), I
edited the opinion page of the Idahonian (the predecessor to the
Moscow-Pullman Daily News).

One of my regular correspondents was a now-deceased retired school teacher
from Elk River, D. Beverly Hughes. She signed her letters (usually
postcards) "D.B. Hughes."

When I arrived that the newspaper, Mrs. Hughes sent a postcard almost every
day, and we picked a representative one to run about every two weeks.  The
paper's publisher and I discussed how to use our limited space for letters
to best advantage while promoting a healthy exchange of viewpoints.

We finally established the "D.B. Hughes rule," which limited writers to one
published letter per week -- less often if there were letters awaiting
publication from less-frequent writers.

The result was that Idahonian readers were exposed occasionally to the
provocative, humorous and sometimes outrageous ideas of Mrs. Hughes, but
were not bombarded with them. Mrs. Hughes quickly adapted to this rule,
becoming more selective about which of her ideas she commited to a postcard.

Vision 2020 is a different forum than a newspaper editorial page, of course.
  "Space" is not a limiting factor, but the time of subscribers is finite.
With all due respect to the diversity of views expressed on the list in the
past month, the volume is simply overwhelming for many of us.

Consequently, I propose that writers adhere to a self-imposed limit of one
posting per day, choosing to frame issues in a way that speaks to a larger
audience.  (There might be exceptions to this in the days before an
election, so that a charge doesn't go unanswered before voting.) Individual
retorts to prior posts could still be sent directly to the writer "off
list."

I submit that the quality of commentary on the list would be higher if
everyone had to choose their words carefully and/or wait 24 hours before
sending another reply, instead of just firing off repeated  rebuttal
messages.

I welcome responses -- one per day per person, of course.

--Kenton

---