RE: Referendum Petitions

On Friday, July 26, Debbie Gray wrote:
*snip* I am
desperately hoping Lucy Zoe was being sarcastic, but with the turn this
whole topic has taken I can hardly tell. *snip*

Actually, after reading these ordinances, and I was being sarcastic, I
rethought my position on the whole topless issue. I think the ordinance
is as just as *silly* as some of the others, but I still think that at
it's core it's not about denying women rights. It's a sad commentary on
society when you trust a human to pick up after a dog, but you can't
trust humans to pick up after themselves. Unless of course the ordinance
is more about *obscenity* than sanitation. That further begs the
question whether or not human bodies are obscene, and/or if the *act* of
a natural bodily function is obscene? And...once again I find myself
back to the topless issue.

I was quite saddened by the rally for Women's Rights. For years, I've
been telling young women that their value is not determined by their
bodies. That working their way to executive status with their mind is
far more rewarding than wearing a sheer blouse and pleasing a perverted
boss. And that a woman will not be heard more clearly based on the
amount of skin she's willing to show. Yet there I was, listening to
adults, men and women, talk on and on about how important it was to be
free to do with your breasts as you please. One step forward...three
steps back.

Of course, that was sandwiched in between abortion rights, Peg breaking
her arm to pat herself on the back (Gary Condit was a lone dissenting
vote too), wage issues, hatred of Christians, and a guy who had the guts
to admit that a rally about giving women the right to bare their breasts
in public was every guys wet dream (his words...not mine. Hopefully
they'll leave that unedited on the tape).  I thought I would throw up
when one woman actually advocated blending the sexes together so they
were more like one another. She also had a problem with the word "man"
referencing mankind. No doubt being hu"man" is somewhat offensive to her
too.

If that's where the "progressive" movement in Moscow is going...I'm not
going with you. I celebrate the differences between men and women...and
not just the obvious physical differences. If the referendum is meant to
erase the differences between men and women...then you should have been
more honest and called it a "personal rights" rally. You spit on women
when you "pretend" you really care about them while hiding behind your
real motive of propagating a "progressive" agenda.

Lucy Zoe

Back to TOC