Regulate Acts, not Looks

Although our legal system and constitution grew from English Common Law and
other sources, with many references to Christian ideals, it has continued to
grow and change.  In the early United States, we happily barred women from
voting, restricted their property rights and imposed other barriers to their
individuality.  We have grown to feel that is wrong, and our laws have
changed, although the Christian Bible has not.

The courts have consistently held in recent years that no one religion or
sect can impose it's ideas on another.  Law does not require a religious
base to be moral.  The fact that almost all religions have a version of 'Do
unto others as you would have them do unto you' does not mean that it is
religiously based.  It is based in the logical concept that if you harm
someone else, they will want to harm you.

All of us should feel free to preach, demonstrate or build a congregation,
but even when our particular sect is in the majority, we do not have the
right to impose our religion on minorities.

Laws based on religious beliefs are such an attempt.  Laws should be passed
to prevent people from harming one another.  Murderers, thieves & dishonest
accountants are punished because they harmed other people, not because they
committed an immoral act by some religious code.

I understand other women's desire to wear long dresses and high-necked
blouses.  They harm no one by doing so.  If they are offended by a
neighbor's short dresses, they can say so, they can shun her, they can
spread ugly gossip about her, but they cannot call the police and have them
force her to change.

If your neighbor offends you by constantly giving you a view of her rear-end
as she tinkers with her sports car, you do not have the right to force her
to stop.  It doesn't harm you.  If she starts dumping her used engine oil in
the street, you can force her to stop because that does harm you.

Let's pass laws against lewd acts in public by anyone.  It might be harder
to prove than just measuring clothing, but it is fairer.  Let's pass laws
against sexually oriented business.  Those sort of things can be shown to be
harmful, where a top free woman working on her tan, mowing her lawn, or even
just walking down the street, might be offensive to some, but harms no one.

I am unsubscribing now, and heading for Canada for a couple of weeks, where,
by the way, it is legal for a woman to bare her chest anywhere a man can.  I
don't expect to see any examples, because although it may be legal, it isn't
the social norm.  Same thing in New York.

Clothing styles should be not be controlled by the police. If someone
dresses offensively, mainstream society doesn't have to deal with them.  Any
merchant can have a dress code for people to enter their shop or restaurant.
  Any church can do the same.  You can do the same in your home.  Public
spaces, paid for by all of us taxpayers, should not be closed to people
whose appearance we don't like.

We will always have the equivalent of punk hair styles, piercings, shirts
with ugly sayings, and people with bad clothing sense.  If you don't like
them, ignore them.  If your children are fascinated, that gives you a good
chance to talk about your standards, and why you belive in them.

Let's regulate what people do, not what they look like.

Mike Finkbiner - who will be happy to not have a computer on vacation!

mike_l_f@hotmail.com