Re: Text of Public Nudity Ordinance

Ms. Stinebaugh

If you are referring to the portion of the law that reads

"WHEREAS, the Council does not desire to regulate breast cleavage as
exposed by some articles of women's clothing including a dress, blouse,
shirt, leotard, costume, bathing suit, or other such apparel."

A legal friend told me (and she is one I trust) that this is not a binding
portion of the law.  paragraphs that begin with "WHEREAS" merely describe
the intent of the body.  It is not the part of the code that actaully tells
the police, prosecutors what they can chage people with.  If a citation is
written, this portion does not play, although a good lawyer will make sure
it gets mentioned a lot.  There is a bunch of case law out there that
supports this.

I don't disagree with the concept of an ordinance on this subject, I just
think they could have done a better job word smithing it so that treatment
is equal under the law and that the amount of selective enforcement is
limited.

Before the wags start, yes, I know men and women are different, I have been
happily married to one for 24 years come September and we have three
wonderful children.  But Asians, Caucasians, Blacks, Hispanics to name just
a few are all very different too and I revel in it.  They have brought us
great cusines, marvelous poetry, and on a more personal note, dedicated men
and women that I had the distinct pleasure of serving with as an Air Force
Officer.  But because they are different does not mean they don't derserve
equal treatment under the law and we could do it in this case with careful
wording.

As to why I, a man, am focused on this issue, as a younger man I wasn't as
attentive to this kind of thing as I should have been.  I was a product of
my times but it is still no excuse.  Consider this penance for being a jerk
at 22 ;-)

Mark Rounds

Back to TOC