Exactly! Re:Objective standards:John Donne:No Man Is An Island:Beautiful Summer

EEvans, et. al.

Exactly!  It is ridiculous to pass laws governing whether men or women
should wear blue or pink dresses or pants etc., though cultural norms on
this issue can vary tremendously.  In some areas of the USA if a man wears a
pink dress in public his health will be in jeopardy!!  The "objective" wrong
comes in the passing of a law criminalizing behavior that should not be
legislated and especially not in a discriminatory manner.  Cultural norms
regarding women going topless are various.  In New York State, it is legal
for women to go topless anywhere men are allowed to do so.  It does not
appear to be a major problem, and most women are reasonable about when and
where they use this privilege.  The standards regarding topless women are
not objective ethical standards like laws regarding theft or murder.  Can
you imagine any state government in the USA that legalized theft and murder?
  These issues are a matter of objective ethical standards for almost
everyone with little debate.  Topless women is not like these issues, it is
clear.

It is obvious the debate is ongoing.  A rally is scheduled for this Saturday
focusing on Women's Rights in part inspired by the new Moscow nudity
ordinance.  There are many people who do not think topless women are a
matter of subjective taste, but that it should be outlawed, who think that
women going topless are an objective ethical affront to ethical laws derived
from their "objective" codes of ethics.

I assume if you reply to these posts on vision2020 to say the debate is
somehow frivolous or that you want to know why you should get involved that
in some manner you are involved.  Otherwise why bother to respond to my post
on "culturally relative norms?"  Did you respond just to say you don't want
to debate or be involved?  Certainly you are not saying there is no debate
in Moscow regarding these issues?

At any rate, thanks for your reply, even if you think it a silly waste of
time!  Perhaps someone else is reading these "public" postings.

Ted