RE: Objective Standards

Joan Opyr wrote:

> I'm guessing that Sunil would prefer that we apply the United States
> Constitution.  So would I.  That is the only standard by which we can
or
> should determine the validity of our laws, and, considering the
diversity of
> peoples, faiths, and politics in this country, it's as close to
consensus as
> we're going to get.

But this is like trying to make the telephone book into a biology text.
The Constitution aims to set some minimal Federal constraints, but it
wasn't intended to be an interpersonal ethical code. For example, the
Constitution nowhere prohibits murder, rape, theft, or speeding. If it
is "the only standard" then every community in the U.S. is in gross
violation of it.

Doug Jones

Back to TOC