From: Earth Life [mailto:onewildearth@hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 2:45 PM
To: comstock@moscow.com; jmack@turbonet.com; jmhill@moscow.com; johnguy@moscow.com; mtethoma@moscow.com; peg_hamlett@msn.com; Vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: City Council behaviour at last monday's "topless" meeting

I attended the city council meeting last monday, hoping to testify against the topless ordinance.  What I saw unfold there really made me wonder about how our city council operates.

Most people in attendance were wearing "We need your support" t-shirts, a shirt with two breast emblazened on the front.  A citizen asked if we could testify and the mayor denied her, saying that they've heard hours of testimony at the previous meeting regarding the ordinance.  Although the ordinance presented at this meeting was reworded, the mayor said that the spirit was the same.  Unfortunately, Peg Hamlett, the lone disenter of the ordinance, was not present at the previous meeting and therefore could not question those who testified there.

I understand that hours of testimony can be tedious, but our elected officials' job is to work for us.  If they are not willing to hear testimony from citizens regarding a law that affects them, right before the officials vote for the ordinance, that seems a bit undemocratic.

Perhaps I should have testified at the previous meeting, but unfortunately I was unable to attend.  Perhaps I should have emailed my comments like all the others who sent in their form email in support of the ordinance, but I decided to testify in person at the meeting.  Little did I know that our council was in such a hurry to end the meeting.

When we were denied the right to voice our thoughts, when our council in their arrogance thought they could keep us silent, our distrust of these guys grew.

During the council members discussion of the ordinance, someone yelled out, "That's unconstitutional!"

The mayor responded by saying if there is another outburst, that person will be escorted out.

Jeez, when did it become illegal to express our opinions in a public building to our elected officials?  Are we living in a fascist state?

Another council member said that this ordinance represents the dominate culture in Moscow.  Someone yelled out, "What, you guys don't support mulitculturalism?"  He was responded by the councilman saying, "Don't interupt me!"

I guess the answer was "No."

People, meetings can get heated.  People say things as it unfolds.  That is normal.  It especially becomes understandable when we are forced to keep silent, not allowed to testify regarding a law that affects us.  But that is no reason for our council to be rude to the people they work for.  That is no reason to try to kick us out of a public meeting.

This is all more relevant considering the contraversial nature of this law.

Joan Mack was concerned that this issue is dividing our city.  Well, then why did you write such a sexist, sweeping and stupid law?

I now know there is one sane voice on our city council.  Someone who is willing to think issues through. Someone who is willing to stand up for principles rather than falling for laws that don't even address the cause of the commosion: the topless carwash.

Thank you, Peg Hamlett.  You have my vote if you decide to run again.

Peace from Garrett Clevenger

ps Does anybody know how to get rid of bad aftertaste?  Perhaps at the voting booth?