THE HARM IS IN FACT RELATIVE:OBJECTIVE? Re: Ban Display of Lips and Tongues

EEVans et. al.

It appears my main point has been missed.  So I will "flesh out" my position
and repeat it several different ways at the risk of tiresome redundancy.
First I would like to emphasize a point I make again later on, that in this
analysis of public display of erotic parts of the body, I am comparing the
simple display of a female breast not engaged in any sexual contact with
anyone, to the flamboyant erotic thrills of public french kissing between
couples, which I have seen numerous times on the streets of Moscow.  I am
not seriously advocating banning french kissing, merely using the example to
illustrate a point.

I am not claiming to assert any "objective" standards.  I merely point out
that if the goal of this nudity ordinance is to prevent harm via the
exposure in public of erotic areas of the female or male body, then
certainly the lips and tongue, being areas of the body that are most
certainly involved in erotic pleasure for most everyone, with an intensity
that is often just as erotic or more so than breasts are, should also be
restricted in their public display.  I pointed out that in Islamic societies
they follow this logic in some manner when they veil the faces of women, so
why aren't you advocating this practice here in Moscow?  It isn't because of
your particular relativistic cultural norms, is it?  Or are you asserting
that you have ultimate objective standards that determine what parts of the
body are acceptable for public display across all cultures and religions for
everyone on the planet?  This discussion is one sided if you will not reveal
the details of your position, whatever it is!

If you approve of the nudity ordinance just passed, I again assert that
according to the logic of the ordinance, you should also advocate that
female (and male?) lips and tongues should be covered in public.  And
furthermore, I assert that the reason no one is going to pass such an
ordinance here in Moscow is that our particular relativistic cultural norms
have led us as a culture to become accustomed to seeing women's faces in
public, in all their undeniable erotic splendor, and not find this
scandalous or indecent enough to outlaw.

Back to the topless female issue, it is a fact there are western cultures
(others have listed the locations of these cultures) where there are no laws
against the display of the female breast in public parks and beaches etc.
These societies, which are predominately Christian, if this makes a
difference in this argument, have not descended into a crisis because of
this relativistic cultural practice that they accept.  Does the vaunted Ten
Commandments of Christian ethics ban the display of the female breast?

It seems that the "harm" that it is claimed is being done by allowing public
display of the female breast does not exist in other reasonable and
civilized cultures, where there is not such a taboo on the display of the
female breast as we have here in the USA.  Therefore the harm is not an
absolute across cultures, and is therefore related to a subjective
conditioned perception in the minds of certain people who have been
conditioned to see harm in the simple display of a female breast.

I should point out that we are only talking about a breast being displayed
in public, not being engaged in sexual contact with anyone.  Whereas in my
example of lips and tongues in public, we have people engaged in actual
sexual arousal and contact in full public display, yet where is the outcry
for an ordinance to stop this public erotic extravaganza?!  Again I assert
this is just because of our culture having become accustomed to these kinds
of erotic public displays.  I for one have found myself far more embarrassed
by the lascivious french kissing of a couple on the street than I ever have
by the sight of a topless women just strolling along, or washing a car, for
that matter.  Someone has a peculiar and sad notion of "erotic" to find
watching a women washing a car topless to be a significant erotic
experience.  But now that I think of how erotized cars have become in
American culture, an attitude I find laughable, perhaps it makes sense, but
again from a very relativistic cultural viewpoint.

Ted