Re: Public Nudity - Our Community

Dan Carscallen wrote:

> Mr. Kronemann said:
>
> Another issue that I'd like to bring up is the lobbying of some people to
> re-establish an environment of apathy.  To just let these things slide
> into silence and to ignore them.  As I have stated above, there are more
> issues at stake here and ignoring something never made it go away.
> Ignoring something never helps the victim but the aggressors.  I'm
> saddened to see that feminist issues are "a silly debate" and not
> important.
>
> I didn't realize that a topless car wash was a feminist issue.  I also
> didn't realize that the washers were victims.  Victims of what?
> Harsh detergents?

Life is a feminist issue.  How society is constructed is a feminist issue.
When a law is created that singles out women for punishment for being
different in some way, real or percieved, as a result of a topless car
wash, it becomes a feminist issue.  When instead of helping students who
apparently came up with the idea to make rent find an alternative to the
topless car wash, the city government invents a law that not only shuts
them down without solving the problem of no money, they invent a law that
legalizes sexism, it becomes a feminist issue.  The washers, as well as
the City of Moscow, are the victims of sexism and apathy.

> It is silly.  It should have been ignored.  All we have are some young
> ladies (and some of their male friends who I saw holding the signs
> advertising) looking for some attention and to stir the poo.  Just
> like the first time this issue hit the fan, so to speak.

I agree.  But male chauvenists decided not to ignore it and manifest their
idealogy in a law that treats women not as equals to men.  So feminism
must respond.  I didn't turn on the perverbial fan, nor did I through the
perverbial poo.  We that dissent are just one of the perverbial blades of
the fan through which the perverbial poo could not pass, striking it,
opening it for others to see what it truly is; poo.

Daniel

Back to TOC