Re: Erotic Retardation II

Thank you, Melynda, for reminding Mr. Wilson that there are Christians who do not necessarily embrace his particular interpretation of "Christian" nor his doctrines. I do agree with Mr. Wilson that we could just be "civil" and polite enough to attempt to not offend others. For me, this extends to labeling, name calling, and assigning others to a group one finds objectionable.

I, too, have traveled in other countries, and those which have less restrictions on women seem to have more citizens who are friendly vs suspicious, smiling vs angry, and able to tell the difference between modest and repressive.
I am not a big advocate of people (of any gender) wandering around unclothed. I am also willing to defend their right to do so (barring laws against it). My biggest objection to this recent "booby hatch" is not that there is now a rule against it, but that the ordinance is poorly written, unenforceable, and assigns women a role as sexual objects to the entire community. Will we next be legally required to cover legs, feet, arms, hair, etc. so as to fend off those who may be stimulated by them? As for touching other people without permission, there are rules and laws about that. It is called assault, and applies to everyone.
We have had "flaps" in our community in the past regarding morality. Generally, this centers around what people do not want their children to see or hear. I believe there is an element of personal responsibility these moral watchdogs are ignoring--it is their responsibility to assure their children are protected by keeping their children away from the objectionable; it is not the responsibility of everyone else to adhere to the watchdog's standards to protect the watchdog's child. If I discuss with my child what film he/she may or may not see, and the child goes against my wishes, it is between me and my child and not the problem of the theatre. If I am offended by women's breasts and do not want my child to see the topless carwash, I should ensure that my child doesn't go there. If he/she does, I will apply a fitting penalty to my child, not insist the entire community must conform to my standards.
Debi Robinson-Smith
debismith@moscow.com

Back to TOC