RE: Alturas Technology Park

At 06:18 AM 7/10/2002 -0700, B. J. Swanson wrote:
>Alturas is not a tax shift and is not subsidized because of the economic
>value.

Mrs. Swanson (I got it right that time; sorry for the misidentification),

This does not compute.  If I understand you, you are saying, "If there is
economic value exceeding $X, there is no subsidy.  If there is economic
value less than $X, there is a subsidy."

Subsidies are subsidies.  Whether they make sense or not has to do with the
economic benefit.  I am not arguing about whether Alturas is a boon or a
boondoggle--that part of the argument is actually less interesting to me
than the fact that rational leaders in our community make statements like
the one above.

I think it would be more honest to say, "Yes, this is a subsidy, taxes are
being shifted, but we have done this for the greater good!"  Instead the
argument is, "Alturas is great, but even if it isn't, it doesn't matter,
because it wasn't subsidized by the public any way."  To me, this is a sign
that so-called Alturas backers are not as confident of the project as they
would have us believe.

Being a tech worker, I can appreciate the effort to create and keep tech
jobs in our community.  Being a taxpayer, I would be hesitant to support
such efforts in the future if there is no clarity about the degree of
public funding.

Bob Hoffmann

P.S.  The virus you refer to is unlikely to come from my computer.  Being a
tech worker, I realize the importance of having a virus protection software
installed and frequently updated.   Forging "From" addresses has made it so
much more difficult to discover the transmitter of viruses these days.

We all are using anti-virus software, right?  And updating it every few days?

Back to TOC