Re: Where's the Jazz?

On Tuesday, July 9, 2002, at 01:26  PM, Lucy Zoe wrote:

> Moscow is the "Heart of the Arts" and there's a Lionel Hampton Jazz
> Festival here every year, but there's very little access to Jazz on the
> radio. I say "little" because NPR doesn't really count as continuous
> Jazz.There's no counting the Country music stations on FM and AM,
> though I prefer not to count or listen to them.
>
> I'm surprised the Univ.of Idaho doesn't have a Jazz or
> Classical station. I realize Jazz comes in many different styles, but
> isn't there a home for it in Moscow?
>
> I'm wondering if there's any Jazz radio history here in Moscow? Has
> anyone ever given it a try? There are certainly an abundance of
> merchants in the area to provide advertising dollars. Or is there a
> Jazz station and I just haven't found it on the dial?
> Lucy "Streaming my Jazz off the internet" Zoe

There's KEWU at 88.5. But we're right on the fringe of their broadcast
pattern. (I can get them in Pullman, but generally not in Moscow.) And
in town they're pretty much drowned out by KUOI (88.3).

At last February's Jazz Festival, KEWU had a table in the Kibbie Dome. I
told them my only complaint was that I couldn't listen to them at home,
but if they could boost their power or put in a translator, they'd have
contributions from me in an instant. The guy just expressed that he
wished they could reach Moscow/Pullman, but it didn't sound like we
should hold our breath.

In the meantime, I have CDs. And I'd settle for a consistent few hours a
week of Jazz on KUOI.

Geoff "Sax is my axe" Allen

Back to TOC