The vision thing

Well, I'll take a stab at Bill's question concerning what Moscow could
look like in 2020 (see below).

*********************
It has been pretty silent on this list for a couple of days so I thought
might generate a question.

What is your vision of Moscow and the vicinity for the year 2020?

Bill Kerr
Moscow, Idaho
billk@moscow.com
billk@drseuss.lib.uidaho.edu
**********************

I'd like to see the following: 1) sustainable and diverse economic
development, 2) sustainable use of natural resources, including
agricultural and forestry practices, 3) recovery and conservation of
natural communities, but particularly restoration of parts of the
Palouse Prairie ecosystem (happily, a group in Moscow is already
starting this process), 4) a vibrant University of Idaho, 5) a
culturally rich community that is diverse while respecting the
uniqueness of the Moscow region (not the least of which includes the
Native American community), 6) a progressive educational system that
meets the needs of kids who want to be laborers or rocket scientists
(i.e., there is nothing wrong with wanting to live a life devoted to
physical labor), and 7) a downtown with a nice community feel, including
a couple of great bars and restaurants.

How's that?  Some of this is already in place, and some initiatives are
already under way, but for some of this it might help to have a
Vision2020 "blueprint" that directs our efforts.  Is this already in
place?  If not, maybe that is something to tackle.  As someone who likes
to be organized, I support a planning process that goes something like:
1) define the vision through some open roundtable forum, 2) draft a
blueprint for achieving the vision, 3) implement programs and processes
to make the blueprint happen, 4) monitor progress and take corrective
actions as necessary.  Vision2020 is perfectly suited to take this on,
because it transcends government, the chamber of commerce, or strictly
developmental interests.  I guess having Vision2020 play this role is
also part of my vision for Moscow.

Mike

P.S. Bill, thanks for asking.

Back to TOC