Alturas

My understanding of the arrangement is that incremental tax dollars
collected on the buildings and businesses in Alturas (tax dollars that may
not exist if the park does not exist) go toward paying off the bond that was
issued to cover the expense of developing the infrastructure for the park.
No tax dollars were involved in purchasing the land or constructing the
building for Pacific Simulation.  These expenses were financed by private
dollars, with no "corporate welfare" involved.

I assume this to be the case for the Park Place Plaza.  While the roads and
sidewalks are funded by a bond to be paid by tax dollars, the development of
the Plaza itself is financed by the developer.  I assume that the
maintenance of 6th street is funded by tax dollars as well.

While allowing support businesses into Alturas creates competition for the
LCGG development, there is no unfair advantage.  The developers of the Plaza
are not tax subsidized, and therefore, they will not be able to undercut
other office space providers simply due to "corporate welfare".

I would argue the forces behind the Alturas development to be economic, with
the vision of attracting successful businesses, thus increasing the
availability of well-paying jobs in our community.  This, as opposed to
"sprawling offices out of downtown" being the driving force.  I suppose one
alternative to the Alturas development (to fulfill the vision of attracting
high-tech businesses) would have been to begin development of a high-rise
office building (or some other high density urban office space of some kind)
and an associated parking facility downtown, but that would likely have
raised serious concerns as well.

Sincerely,

Devin Cole
AQC Project Manager