Re: vision2020-digest Digest V02 #208

Dear Visionedless,

Daniel wrote:

"She still retains full and unalienable rights"

And where does one get unalienable rights....? I'll give you a hint
(it's in the Declaration of Independence")

and Joan Opyr wrote:

" If the Bible is indeed the foundation of your
morality, then you'll know that Jesus took his
glass of water from the woman at the well, not
from the Pharisee."

He (Jesus) then pointed out to the woman that she had been committing
adultery and exposed her sin to her so that she went back to the city
and proclaimed to all "could this be the Christ?"

and Daniel also wrote:

" Its one thing to have it printed on money
(something that wasn't so till 1952).  Its not
really that much of an American tradition
and could be removed quite easily. "

'Tis false that the money did not have "In God we trust" put on it until
1952

allow me to quote it to you:

" Congress passed the Coinage Act of April 22, 1864, which  designated
that 'In God We Trust' be put on coins 'when and  where sufficient space
in the balance of the design' would  permit it."

  Rev. Watkinson's missive was directed to Secretary of   the Treasury
Samuel P. Chase. It read:

  "Dear Sir: You are about to submit your annual report to the
Congress respecting the affairs of the national finances.

One fact touching our currency has hitherto been seriously   overlooked.
I mean the recognition of the Almighty God in   some form on our coins.

You are probably a Christian. What if our Republic were not   shattered
beyond reconstruction? Would not the antiquaries   of succeeding
centuries rightly reason from our past that we   were a heathen nation?
What I propose is that instead of the   goddess of liberty we shall next
inside the 13 stars a ring   inscribed with the words PERPETUAL UNION;
within the   allseeing eye, crowned with a halo; beneath this eye the
American flag bearing in its field stars equal to the number of   the
States united; in the folds of the bars the words GOD,   LIBERTY,
LAW..."

Seven days after the transmittal of Watkinson's letter,   Secretary
Chase, on November 20, 1861, wrote to James   Pollock, Director of the
Mint at Philadelphia. He instructed   Pollock to prepare a motto,
declaring "No nation can be   strong except in the strength of God, or
safe except in His   defense. The trust of our people in God should be
declared on our national coins..." A design was submitted   in December,
1863 proposing OUR GOD AND OUR   COUNTRY, or the alternative of GOD, OUR
TRUST. On   December 9, 1863, Chase formally approved a third   slogan
in a letter to the Mint Director.

"I approve your mottoes (sic), only suggesting that on   that with the
Washington obverse the motto should begin   with the word OUR, so as to
read OUR GOD AND OUR   COUNTRY. And on that with the shield, it should
be   changed so as to read: IN GOD WE TRUST."

  "In God We Trust" thus appeared on the short-lived 1864   two-cent
coin. It has been used continuously on the   one-cent coin since 1909,
and on dimes since 1916.   Since July 1, 1908, "In God We Trust" has
also been   stamped on gold coins, silver dollars, quarters and
half-dollar coins"

And if you remember the Star Spangled Banner song I printed for all of
you. It states that "this be our motto 'In God is our trust'". Once
again they were just trying to reiterate what had previously been
acknowledged 200 years before.

Maybe we should go back to the fundamentalist, narrow minded way of
saluting the flag. Maybe we should salute the flag like it was
originally intended with the Roman salute like the followers of Adolph
used. Some open minded change is a good thing...

Daniel also wrote:

" It doesn't matter if this addition (in 1952)
was intended as a reference to a "generic God"

Sorry Dano the year was 1954 when the phrase "Under God" was added to
the  pledge. Let's get the facts straight again. It was a statement of
faith that  was copied from Lincoln's Gettisburg address.

Daniel also wrote:

"But his daughter shouldn't be force to say "one
nation under God" if she doesn't want to."

But she isn't being forced to say it. She wants to say it. When asked if
his daughter said  "under God" against her own will the father stated
that she in fact still repeated the words "under God" against her
fathers wishes... She had made up her mind to repeat it as it was taught
to her. Talk about using someone to further his own agenda.

Which reminds me of the current car wash situation... Each of you that
have been touting the titillating triumph of the trailer trash are no
better than the father who is using his own daughter as a battering ram.

Daniel you seem to be saying that these girls should be allowed to
expose them selves so that one can continue to be "woman-like".  That if
they have to cover up, one who is "woman-like" would have to go back in
the closet...

One who is shedding all individualistic trappings and conforming to
"woman-like" character qualities shouldn't have to go back into the
closet to practice being a "woman". He should be allowed to run for City
office and replace those with moral qualities from the "dark ages".

Better to be "stuffed pants" than "stuffed shirts".

Just my 1864 2-cents worth.
lemeno Doug!

Back to TOC