RE: Wilson's Kid on Government Schools

> Currently, the government spending on K-12 schools in the United States
> is higher than in any other developed country (average per-pupil cost of
> $6,857). I looked at the MSD's 2001 expense report. The average spending
> in MSD is right at $8,000 per student -- 17% higher than the national
> average.  Yet 9-and-13-year-old American students rank last in
> mathematics and science among students from the seven large countries
> that administered the most recent International Assessment of Education
> Progress.
>
> Are you willing to concede that this is all because of children with
> disabilities?

No.  Bill already answered this.  Public schools have the responsibility
to educate everyone, not just those who can pay financially or
idealogically.  Does Logos have a bus system?

In Japan, one of the countries said to have higher scores than us (despite
the many flaws in standardized testing), they don't educate everyone.
Only the best, the academic elite.  This comes with a high rate of suicide
for those that don't make the cut.  But here, since we have to include the
scores of all our children, it lowers the average, not because of the
children with "disabilities" (I prefer the word unique abilities) but
because all children have the right to an education (in theory) here.

Daniel

Back to TOC