Re: Rumor Control and Sunil's Quibble

Greg,

If I missed your point it's for the following reasons:
-You claimed that the drunk frat boys (DFBs) were being prosecuted to the
fullest extent of the law, when you knew that they could be charged with
felonies.
-You seemed to be arguing that this zealous prosecution resulted from their
stealing from a special group receiving extra protection.  Actually, I think
one could make the argument that the student group received less protection
than others might have, since misdemeanors were charged instead of felonies.
  Would the DFBs have been charged with burglary if they had broken into a
church and stolen bibles and hymnals with the intent of returning to the
frat house and burning them?  I don't know, but I'm pretty sure the outrage
would have been equal if not more.

I guess I'm going to put words in your mouth, but I'm confident you'll point
out the wrong ones: you seem to be saying that these guys were prosecuted,
but no one in the gay organization is being prosecuted for sodomy.  I
suppose this could launch a discussion about crimes with and without
victims, but I'll go there next.  I'll start by saying a group that puts
forward a political agenda (let's say it's gay rights) is just engaging in
protected speech.  Should they move into demonstrating techniques, then we'd
have a prosecutable crime, assuming there were willing witnesses. We don't
have that here. I think that's why the DFBs were the only ones prosecuted.
And just to be clear, I don't have a problem with the misdemeanor charges,
just as long as other young people who do similarly stupid things when
they're drunk don't get charged with felonies.

Moving on to the issue of victims, obviously there were victims here. I'll
go ahead and say that I'm not a believer in prosecuting 'victimless' crimes;
that's one reason I'm no longer a deputy prosecutor.  I think prosecuting
theft is seen as good law because its commission involves hurting others.
Tom Hansen made a good point when he said that there are all kinds of laws
that don't get charged.  When was the last time you defended someone charged
with fornication or adultery? I've neither charged those nor defended them.
I don't think that those 'crimes' go unprosecuted because they're seen as
discriminatory; I think as a society we don't think they should be
prosecuted.

Should every 17-year old boy who has pre-marital sex with his girlfriend be
charged with rape?  Should the girlfriend be charged with Lewd and
Lascivious Conduct?  There are probably people out there who say 'Yes,' and
I'm glad they haven't been making the charging decisions. I don't think it
would be a good use of our resources to charge all the crimes that are on
the books.

And I don't think you look dumb...

Sunil