RE: Reply to Bill Strand's Concern

As one great American so aptly put it, "I may not agree with what you have
to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Rounds [mailto:ltrwritr@moscow.com]
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 5:00 PM
To: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: Reply to Bill Strand's Concern

Bill

Your concerns are not out of line.  This was, until a few weeks ago a pretty
benign little list serve.  However, you really can't tell someone to get off
and use this only for its initially intended use.  I watched that happen to
a list serve that was primarily literary in nature until someone pressed a
an emotional hot button.  Then it got far worse than this.  The rules that
they came up with, and that for the most part worked, was a truth in
labeling rule.

If you send out a response, it is your responsibility to make sure it is
labeled properly and covers the subject at hand.  then these things can be
dealt with by using the delete key.  Those that want to hijack an audience
get bounced for breaking the truth in labeling rule, not for their various
stands.  Part of the freedom of speech issue is the right not to listen ;-)
If the posts stay properly labeled, most folks hit the delete key and the
problem pretty much goes away.  Those folks that have an axe to grind can
hack away at each other.

It works but we all have to agree to make it work.  It still takes some
trust.

Mark Rounds

Back to TOC