Fred Phelps Information

Melynda here again, this time wearing my professional bonnet--

Some of you may know that my day job is Director of WSU's Gay, Lesbian,
Bisexual, and Allies Program.  Fred Phelps is no stranger to anyone who does
advocacy work in higher education, and we've built up a profile with
important information.

1.   It's pretty unlikely that he'll come.  He does a booming business in
press releases, hoping for lots of local publicity and media coverage, but
he's not rich enough to get his "family" everywhere he threatens to go.  That
doesn't mean we shouldn't prepare--fully--for his arrival, but don't lose any
sleep over it.

2.  Phelp's money comes mainly from lawsuits--the whole family are lawyers.
S.O.P. is to sue the university for failing to provide a venue, or the right
venue, and then to sue anyone foolish enough to get within arm's reach for
assault.  If you've got to get a look at him, for goodness sake stay far
away.  Don't shake hands, don't offer them a drink of water, don't let your
temper get the better of you.  It's best if the campus can muster a solid
police presence to ensure that no agent provocateur from the Phelps clan gets
out into the crowd and then falls down hollering that somebody hit her.

3.  The most effective preventative measure appears to be a local fundraiser
in which citizens pledge money to a local gay rights organization in direct
proportion to the length of Fred's demonstration.   You know, $1 for every
minute they picket, or some such amount.  Our local Pride Foundation might be
a good beneficiary.  Then if Phelps does arrive, we make sure he knows just
how much money he's raising for local scholarships or other projects, minute
by minute.   It's worked in other communities (and of course, if he doesn't
show, people may still donate!)

Best,

Melynda Huskey

Back to TOC