Fwd: Re: Fwd: The Curtailment of "Mudboging"...

Title: Fwd: Re: Fwd: The Curtailment of "Mudboging"...
No, Bill, I don't believe I did.  First, I am not condoning illegal actions.  Second, I am not suggesting this is appropriate in locations where it IS legal.

Are you missing the issues about meeting legitimate recreational needs?  Roads do not meet all the needs of OHV users.  Different rec pursuits demand different rec areas.  This is why we see the revolution in ski area design: snowboarders are a different breed and their sport demands different options.  Hence terrain parks.  They, too, were ostrisized at one time.  And they, too, illegally pursued their sport.  Finally, the industry recognized a profit was to be made.

Why marginalize OHV enthusiasts?  Why not advocate providing well-designed OHV parks and thoughtfully laid out trails?  It is acceptable to cut new MTB trails.  Scale of impacts does not mean we should design NO trails.  It means we plan for a scaled offering.

Visionaries serve the underserved has always been the impression I have had on this list.  Why not with this group?

Sean:
You missed the point.
I have nothing against 4-wheelers cruising on established or posted roads.
I have everything against 4-wheelers making their own muddy roads across pristine lands.
Why should I show tolerance for those who are breaking laws and ravaging beautiful meadowlands for their own nasty thrills?
BL
sean wrote:
Bill, Don et al.,I am somewhat surprised to see such a close-minded reaction to "alternative" outdoor recreation.  If it is not hiking is it outside the realm of validity?  I suspect that many of those who would outlaw or even implement destructive devices to deter OHV use are the very same "visionaries" who cry foul when skateboarders are told they must stay off sidewalks and streetsŠwhile simultaneously being provided with no alternative terrain. What happened to tolerance?  where is the "vision" of developing designated recreation areas?  The charge against skaters is that they damage property and threaten the safety of others.  Sounds like a similar charge to the one leveled at ATV's, 4x4s, etc.  So why be any less open-minded and creative with this group? This is not simply an issue from some far-off API story.  There is a vigorous body of recreators in the Palouse who seek to use their motorized vehicles.  They, like others in this billion dollar market, deserve well thought out and equitable recreation areas (remember equity?).  There are no such locations in within a reasonable drive.  The same can hardly be said for other outdoor recreation.  Want to rock climb?  Mt bike?  hike?  Those and many more sports ARE provided for.  Many were once marginalized, considered to be "fringe", and experienced being ignored.  Any snowboarder from way back will remember those days (and not very fondly). The elitism that is routinely applied to OHV enthusiasts is embarrassing and smacks of hypocrisy.  Are there any sports lacking "jerks"?  Do any of us not find some group whose members do not generally rub us the wrong way?  And are those not the groups we are most apt to avoid (and therefore remain ignorant ofŠand even fearful of) and therefore to misunderstand?  How does user conflict equate to a right to outlaw and exclude a sport? Educating oneself about a group and then helping them by providing for their needs is a far better approach than ostracizing them.  Marginalizing and making enemies of off-roaders has been the approach used in recent decades by those wishing to protect wildlands.  Where has it gotten anyone? Here's to showing true vision in the future.s ps- before chanting "Hayduke, Hayduke, Hayduke!", recall that he drove a 4x4 (equipped--gasp!--with a winch)Šand tossed beer cans asunder.

Visionaries:

All I can say is, "Heyduke Lives"!

I'm with you, Bill.

Don Kaag (Who loves the wilderness and despises motorized scofflaws and their illegal depredations...)