Re: Gay California teachers come out in the classroom

John asks,
>For example, can the government schools teach that God says that sodomy is
>wrong?

That's an easy one!  No, a public school can't teach that God says sodomy is
wrong.  But it can teach that some religions hold that belief.  Likewise, the

schools can't teach that people of African descent aren't actually human,
although the fact that some religions hold that belief (the World Church of
the Creator, for example, and other so-called Christian Identity groups) can
be discussed.

Every religion -- and by religion I mean specifically "belief in and
reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor
of the universe, and systems grounded in such belief and worship" (American
College Dictionary) -- makes a truth claim.  Publically funded schools cannot
mediate those competing truth claims.

Refraining from endorsing one particular religious view does not amount to
espousing another or competing religious view -- hence the impossibility of
satisfying Doug Wilson's wish for an account of "what this worldview is from
the defenders of it, or the enforcers of it."  We have many standards, many
theologies, many philosophies, and many worldviews.  It's not a simple binary
at all but an extraordinarily complex mixture of contingencies, compromises,
dissatisfactions, and agreements.  At the risk of repeating myself and boring
others, I can only reiterate that we all pay for public education because we
have established, as a nation, a public interest in universal education
available to all, which we fund through taxes.  That principle may not always
hold: democratic action changes laws all the time.  Knock yourself out.

Melynda Huskey

Back to TOC