RE: Gay California teachers 'come out' in classroom

> But maybe there were many parents who had children in that class who
> wouldn't want this to have happened in front of their children? Why
> can't we respect them?

Maybe there were parents that would not like this to happen in front of
their children.  But they have no right to force anyone to hide who or
how they love.  It is basically none of their business.  Nor do they
have to right to force anyone to hide or live theirs lives in a closet
because of their religious beliefs.

They can live their lives how they want to.  They can try to convince
their children that homosexuality is wrong, but have no right to try to
suppress others because of their beliefs.  There have been many
instances in the past where people that have disagreed upon education
and tried to suppress ideas because of religious beliefs.  The fact is
that the world is round and does revolve around the sun despite
religious views to the contrary.

And you say that some children may have not been familiar with the
murder of Mathew Sheppard.  Because of their ignorance would you deny
comfort and understanding to those who were aware of the murder?  Are
you saying that ignorance and the lowest common denominator should
govern what a teacher does in the classroom?   I believe schools are for
education and not for the continuance of ignorance.

Brad Neuman