Re: Gay California teachers 'come out' in classroom

Here we go again, jumbling up the issues so that emotion replaces reason.

So here are the issues that I see in this post layed out one at a time.

The Joke was far more than potty humor as it deameaned health care
professionals and all HIV sufferers, many of whom have the desease for no
fault of there own.  It was indefensible and should be treated as a separate
issue.

Secondly you speak of judgement and rationality.   You can and must judge
your own actions on a continuing basis.  But when humans attempt to judge
others, they risk feeling superior and dehumanize the person they judge to
be less than themselves.  Take some time and read the parable in the Bible
about the Pharisee and the Sinner in the Temple for further enlightment on
this subject as I do not wish to get into a public relgious debate.

Thirdly, you speak of a moral compass and toss out a bunch of vague words as
if that defines it.  Others follow moral compasses too, and guess what,
they differ.  You must judge for yourself which one to follow but don't you
dare take on that responsibility on for me.  You haven't walked in my
moccasins and my decisions and their repercussions are wholely my own.

Finally you ask if I have lost the ability to judge.  Looking at the
discussion above, very obviously not.  But it is something that can be
abused and most people do, myself included, as we humans tend to do it far
too early in the process.  So since I don't know you and you don't know me
other than by a few electrons floating in each others computers, I would ask
that you didn't judge me until you do because you will find surprises and I
will not judge you for the same reason.

The last and unspoken issue that started all of this is the issue of Gays
"Coming Out" in the class room.   My personal feeling is that the classroom
is not a place for teachers discuss who they have sexual relations with or
why.  That goes for heterosexuals and well as homosexuals and any other
flavor that might be out there.  Hopefully, a classroom is a place of
learning and scholarship where basic skills and facts can be presented to
children and again hopefully, they can learn them.

In the work place, my concerns are also the same.  I want to relate to
people about the work at hand.  What they do after work is really none of my
business.   If, in a personal or social setting, someone wants announce that
issue, they can.  I won't be announcing my sexual activities though ....
probably too boring anyway ;-)  My point is that is shouldn't matter.
People's sexual orientation is just a small part of what makes them unique.

I have a few friends that I know are gay.  I have a few friends that I know
are heterosexual because, in both cases, they have made a point of telling
me, but for the vast majority of folks I know, I don't know their
orientation and I don't care.  I try to relate to them all as people and as
individuals.  I get surprised sometimes but that is part of life ;-)

I think this thread is getting out of hand so this is my last response to it.

Mark Rounds