Gay California teachers 'come out' in classroom

As a parent, I should get to decide whether or not I want my
children to be exposed to certain "activities." In the following
situation, I would say, "not in front of my children."

---------------------

Gay California teachers 'come out' in classroom

By Ellen Sorokin
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
May 25, 2002
http://washingtontimes.com/national/20020525-93388851.htm

      A California public school district is allowing homosexual
school employees to "come out" in front of children in school
without obtaining parents' permission.
      A unanimous resolution allows teachers at the Hayward
Unified School District to talk openly about homosexuality or to
discuss their homosexual lifestyles with students during class.
The district's school board says such action is required under
the California Student Safety and Violence Prevention Act
of 2000.
      Teachers also are allowed to include homosexual figures or
role models in class and to read books with homosexual
characters such as "Heather Has Two Mommies."
      The case in Hayward is part of a growing national trend in
how school districts deal with homosexuality.
      Scott Lively, president of the Pro-Family Law Center in
Citrus Heights, Calif., said yesterday that his organization has
received calls from concerned parents in Massachusetts,
Vermont, Missouri and other towns in California during the past
several months.
      "It's a national campaign that is being pushed by homosexual
activists, and that campaign is to homosexualize the
public-school environment," Mr. Lively said. "One of the goals is
to create a voting majority within the high school students who
would be in favor of gay perspectives. These are activists who
got in positions of authority and use it to advance a selfish social
agenda, and, frankly, that's evil."
      School district officials said yesterday that the resolution is
about training students and teachers about tolerance and how to
provide a safe learning environment for homosexual students and
teachers. It's not about teaching students about homosexuality,
said Kim Hammond, the school district's chief administrative
officer.
      "We're not saying, 'Let's teach the students about
homosexuality,'" Ms. Hammond said. "What we're saying is,
'How do we accept individuals who are different from
ourselves?' Our school board is committed to maintaining a safe
learning environment for all of our students."

{..snip.. see URL above for complete article}