Re: Teaching in Moscow...

In a message dated 6/1/02 12:19:58 PM, dkaag@turbonet.com writes:

<< But comparing the mechanisms of public school salary increases and
university salary increases is comparing apples and oranges. >>

I wasn't expressly comparing public school salary increases to university
increases.  I was comparing your desire "to ask for a salary increase that is
at least ahead of the yearly inflation in the cost of living" to what I
suspect other employees on the Palouse get.  It's just that the universities
comprise the largest two employers. My point was, why should public school
increases be greater than other employees in the area.

<<Consider these facts:  Idaho is 48th in the nation in teacher's salaries.>>
 According to a Lewiston Morning Tribune article in yesterday's paper,  Idaho
is 18th in the nation in supporting public schools for every dollar of
personal income.  Washington is 42nd.  Since salaries are a majority of
school costs, could it be possible Idaho is not doing too bad in terms of
paying its teachers in relation to what its citizens are making?

<<I am "maxed out" on the salary grid, so no matter if I continue my
postgraduate education to improve my teaching, I can earn no more money.  I
don't think you can
find anyone on the Palouse in a professional position at that educational
level and with those years of experience who makes as little as I make.>>

Tell me what you make and I'll let you know.

<<That means whatever your educational level, you must earn 6 college credits
every five years in order to remain certified as a teacher.>>

So six to eight weeks out of twelve are spent in school in one or two summers
off every five years.  I'm not sure nonpublic school employees would complain
about that requirement.

<<I teach because I enjoy it.  I love working with kids.  It is a job that is
continually different, that keeps me young, and that gives something back to
the community and the future of the country.  If I didn't like doing it, I
would go do something else. >>

This is the part that really confuses me.  The great majority of Moscow
teachers are "maxed-out" on the salary scales due to years of service and, I
understand, openings are really hard to come by.  Teachers obviously knew
what the pay was when they started, yet constantly complain about being
underpaid while staying with the job.  I just can't get over feeling that if
it isn't worth it, quit it.  If it is worth it, quit complaining.

Walter Steed

Back to TOC