Re: Tomorrow please vote yes

I concur with Linda's communication.  Reform will be the challenge.

If one lives in a house and the foundation is slowly failing it is rather difficult to notice the process as an insider until there is a crisis.  The district has lost about 400 students, has lost funding, has unbelievable internal conflicts, does not educate equally, hardly makes use of waiting community resources (Business and the University),  had an unfavorable student graduation exit interview conducted by the Lewiston Tribune, has conflicts over facilities, has had numerous boards and administrations, and is stuck in the status quo.  Nationally, the issues are mirrored

It is more difficult to repair/replace the foundation while one lives in the house.  (not impossible).  Therefore one sees the call for vouchers, privatizing administrations (Edison Schools in Philadelphia), Charters, flight to the privates, assessments, the call for more funding,  International Comparisons, Home Schooling, etc.

Hence, would it not have been better to have all the supplemental levy brought back to the patronage on a yearly basis and allow our community to develop the best public school system in the US.  A school that is organized for every student's success college bound or not-- with a rich, varied, and challenging curriculum....Make it motivational, accountable, and technologically advanced for our rapidly changing world.

My biggest fear is apathy, viewing the district outcomes in local context, and the lack of interest generated by the 1992 indefinite levy until there exists a tremendous crisis. Further, there are conflicting attorney general's opinions on the legality of running  the indefinite and having to return to the year to year format.  The law does not give direction nor resolution.  Linda, you could be very instrumental with your expertise.  A yes vote tomorrow is the wise choice.  Thank You Jerry