Racist Violence in Boise

Dear Visionaries and Friends,

The AIC Human Rights Campaign logo says:
"Not in our town, not in our state;
Idaho is too great for hate."

I thought you might want to know that intolerance, violence and hate are unfortunately alive and well in other parts of the state. For those of you who are not familiar with the Idaho Black History Museum, it is located in Julia Davis Park in Boise, in a restored church that was the home of an early black Boise congregation.

The Black History Museum has been an important player in the Idaho museum family to bring information and education about African Americans in general and the Idaho experience in particular to the public. It is a small but engaging museum with a welcoming, open attitude. It is a great place to visit when you are in Boise.

It troubles my heart that they have suffered this violence and that there are still people in Idaho - or ANYWHERE - who can perpetrate this violence.

I encourage you to consider sending $15.00 (or more) to the Museum to join as an individual: Idaho Black History Museum, 508 North Julia Davis Drive, Boise, ID 83702 (phone: 208-433-0017).

INFORMATION FROM BOISE:

Wednesday, we discovered that the Idaho Black History Museum was vandalized.
A racial slur and swastika were carved into the wooden door of the museum.
In response, the Interfaith Alliance is hosting a rally on the steps of the museum in Julia
Davis Park Friday at noon.

In addition to the rally you can show your support for the Idaho Black History
Museum by volunteering, becoming a member, or simply standing up and
speaking out for human rights. To get involved, call the museum at
208-433-0017.

"In Germany, they first came for the communists, and I didn't speak up
because I wasn't a communist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I
wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a
Catholic.
Then they came for me -- and by that time there was nobody left to speak up."
-Martin Niemöller

Back to TOC