Re: GSA Statement to ASUI - April 10, 2002 (fwd)

Thanks for the info on this issue.  I had not heard anything about this
incident.  Was this story carried by any local media, etc?  I hope the
perps don't get off too easily.  I'm sure that if the university is
reminded of the liability they might incur if this issue is swept under
the rug, they will take quick and decisive action.

           Clint "Tex" Payton
       email: tex@kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Daniel Kronemann wrote:

> To whom it may concern
>
> Yesterday I had written the following email to gather support for the Gay
> Straight Alliance at the ASUI Senate's meeting yesterday.  It was
> suggested to me that I send it to this email so we could get it posted
> online.  Obviously, it is slightly out of date, but the need for support
> is still high.  For more information please contact the GSA at
> alliance@uidaho.edu or you may direct questions and concerns to The Office
> of Multicultural Affairs, The Office of the Special Assistant to the
> President on Human Rights, or any administration official.
>
> Thanks
>
> Daniel Kronemann
>
> Subject: GSA Statement to ASUI - April 10, 2002
>
> To all that are concerned
>
> Tonight, April 10, 2002, the GSA will present a statement the Associated
> Students of the University of Idaho Senate in regards to the recent theft
> of our pride flag (it looked like the American flag with white stars on a
> blue background with rainbow stripes instead of red and white strips).
> Three people were involved, two of them using senator priviledges to enter
> the ASUI office, where GSA keeps its desk, and took the flag.  They then
> proceeded to try to destroy the flag by burning it, but were foiled by the
> flags flame retardent nature.  The purpetrators apparently have been
> identified and have confesed, yet details, such as names, action the
> University is taking, have yet to be released.  The Moscow Police have
> been contacted and a report filed, yet have been uncooperative in
> releasing information.  A request to release a copy of the report was
> denied due to the "uncompleteness" of the investigation which had begun
> Monday, April 1st.  The city prosecutor has been difficult to get a hold
> of at times, due to the uncooperative nature of some employees at the
> station, although the prosecutor himself has been cooperative.
>
> The Gay Straight Alliance has met with certain University Officials and
> dialogue is happening.
>
> This email is to make you aware of the situation, and to ask for
> solidarity from the public.  I want to make sure that you know I'm not the
> spokesperson for the GSA and don't pretend to be speaking on their behalf.
> I do want to ask that those who can make it tonight at 7:00 in the
> Clearwater Room of the Commons for the Senate meeting, do so to show
> support of our efforts to promote tolerance on campus.  If you can not
> personally make it to the Senate meeting, I ask that you spread word of
> this and put the pressure on the Administration to a swift, yet thought
> out response to this hate crime.  The victims of GSA should not be forced
> to stand up by themselves.
>
> Again, this email is not intended to be endorsed by the GSA but a matter
> of my own opinion and conviction.
>
> Please forward to all who might be interested in seeing more tolerance on
> campus and it their lives.

> [...]

Back to TOC