Re: Reply to Dr. Weitz

I found the negotiations process as the most destructive and divisive item as a Board member.  Simply by doing nothing to come to a fair long term process is harmful to the district, to the students and to the patronage.  It unnecessarily places folks in a needless  disadvantage.  If,for example, the state grid was followed and modified for local cost of living factors,I believe the end result would not make much difference.  The result would be that the folks with a bachelors would have the potential of being paid more.  This comes handy when the district recruits for Pro-Tech folks.  I can not accept that there is not a way.   I recall week ends (Saturday) that we were to meet and the Negotiations would be at the last minute called off by the MEA.  Also the negotiants well into the mornings was inconsiderate of those of us that also have other jobs and responsibilities.  It was used as a MEA battering ram during the 9 month labor dispute that had more to do with who was in control and about the hiring of Ed Fisk than money.    The process places needed programs in jeopardy that could only be paid for by the local taxpayer.  Fundamentally, property taxes are a very unfair approach to taxation unlike the graduated income tax.  Thanks Jerry