From: Gaydell Collier [mailto:gcollier@rangeweb.net]
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 9:46 AM
To: Neill Library
Subject: new anthology -- a call for manuscripts

We would like to have some of the women in your community represented in a new anthology to be published by Houghton Mifflin (scheduled for 2004). We're sending this call for manuscripts out to libraries, extension agencies, newspapers, and many other outlets throughout the Western states, in the hope that you will share the information with the women in your area. Ordinarily, we would send along the guidelines in an attachment, but the new computer scares have made many people wary of attachments. If you would like to review the guidelines, please e-mail me back with the word GUIDELINES, and I'll send them right out to you, either as an attachment or in the body of the email (specify ATTACH or EMAIL). Or you can look at the website below. We would very much appreciate your help with this! The paragraphs below will give you a brief overview of what we're looking for.

WILL YOU HELP US GET THE WORD OUT TO THE WOMEN IN YOUR COMMUNITIES?

The editors of Leaning into the Wind (Houghton Mifflin, 1997) and Woven on the Wind (HM 2001), Linda Hasselstrom, Gaydell Collier, and Nancy Curtis--all writers, rural westerners, and experienced researchers with interests in the history and culture of the West--want to continue providing an opportunity for Western women to be heard. In the grassroots tradition of those two collections, we invite Western women to write about the roles of women in a variety of communities.

We will prepare a selected collection of writings about the role of women in community. Write about a community in action and the women involved. We will accept only stories and poems written by women. While men may be involved in the story, the focus should be on the women.

Send true personal stories in prose or poetry form; no fiction please. The contents of the book will be shaped by the women who write it. (Look at Leaning into the Wind and Woven on the Wind as examples.) The editors will make special efforts to compile a book that reflects the ethnic and cultural diversity of the West. The deadline is October 1, 2002. For guidelines, see Women Writing About Community: www.windbreakhouse.com.

Back to TOC