Rep. Trail - Legislative Newsletter III--JANUARY 21-26, 2002

Dear Visionaries,

LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER III--JANUARY 21-26, 2002
The third week of the 2002 Idaho Legislative Session is history. Here are
some of the events and highlights of the week.

1. Term Limits -- HB425 the term limit repealer passed the House on a 50-20
vote. The bill now goes to the Senate State Affairs Committee. Surveys
indicate the bill may pass the Senate by a 2/3rds majority which is needed
to overide a veto. If this occurs, there is no doubt that an initiative
drive will be conducted to put term limits on the ballot again this fall.

2. Registration of Farm Labor Contractors -- SB1289 passed out of the
Senate Commerce and Human Resources Committee by a 9-0 vote. The bonding
and licensing law, a followup to last year's minimum wage law to
farmworkers, is backed by Gov. Kempthorne. This is the legislation that
Rep. Ken Robison and I have worked on for four years. The legislation is
intended to protect those working for unscrupulous contractors who cheat
them out of their wages. It will help both farmers and farmworkers.

3. Appaloosa License License Plate -- HB 477 has been introduced into the
House Transportation Committee. This bill will create a special Appaloosa
license plate that will honor Idaho's state horse. I've been working with
the Appaloose Horse Club in Moscow and Carrie Bitterwolf's fourth grade
class at West Park Elementary in the development of the bill. It appears
that we will have the hearing about February 14th. Students in Carrie's
class have developed part of the presentation of the bill. The plans are
for Carrie and students and their parents to attend the hearing and then
meet with Gov. Kempthorne in his office later in the afternoon.

4. Vandal Gold -- This legislation has not received much attention. RS
11480 will be heard in the House Business Committee this coming Thursday.
It is sponsored by Rep. Gary Young, Sen. Gary Schroeder, and myself. The
intent of the legislation is that any college or university located in
Idaho may make available to its student body and members of its faculty a
university debit card program. A debit card transaction may be used to
purchase goods and services from the college or university or approved
vendors located at any college or university site or in the community in
which the college or university is located. WSU initiated a similar program
last fall. Pullman businessmen report an increase of 10-15% sales with the
use of the debit card. This also gives students more selection and options.

5. Idaho Fair Elections Option/Election Campaign Reform -- This bill
sponsored by Sen. Betsy Dunklin, Rep. Gary Young, and myself was given to
the House Clerk on Friday. We hope to get a hearing either in the Senate or
the House. The legislation is especially timely in light of the recent Eron
scandals which have "jumped started" national campaign reform bills in the
House and Senate. I'll share more about this bill next week.

6. Recycled Oil -- RS 11646 is a low profile bill. The intent is to
encourage state agencies to utilize recycled oil for their fleets of
vehicles. State Agency Directors can offer up to a 5% price preference for
recycled oil. This bill is voluntary in nature. Many states have similar
legislation in place, and the price of recycled oil is cheaper than regular
oil. This bill should fit nicely into an energy conservation policy.

7. Education -- Members of the House Education Committee heard testimony
from all of the Idaho Institutions of Higher Education this week. Testimony
indicated that the deep cuts being proposed would negatively impact the
quality of academic programs and research. All university presidents
indicated strong support for the Idaho Promise Scholarship Program. More
than 5,000 Idaho students have been awarded the Promise Scholarship. More
than 1,100 students at the University of Idaho are on the scholarship
program. Mike Curley, Chairman of the Moscow School Board, testified about
the impact of holdbacks on the Moscow School District in the House
Education Committee on Friday. We were told on Friday that more cuts in the
education budget may need to be made because of the continuing downslide in
the economy. The impact on both K-12 and Higher Education with the hold
backs and 10 percent or more cuts on Higher Education is simply tearing the
muscle out of our education system and we will suffer the consequences. We
can tap one time money including the $70 million in the Budget Stablization
Fund, $19 million coming in from the Tobacco Settlement, and $32 million
from the Capitol Restoration Fund. Gov. Kempthorne has placed a freeze on
about $80 million in capital improvements. So there are one time funds
available. A moratorium on the tax cut is another area of funding
opportunity. These funds could at least plug the dike and anticipating
economic recovery could help us over the economic hump. No one has
mentioned raising taxes, but recent polls conducted by BSU indicate that
Idaho citizens would approve an increase in the sales tax dedicated to
building schools. Gov. Smylie in 1965 instituted the sales tax for
education. We need to look at all options and soon.

Next week we'll take a more in-depth look at the budget and impact on
education. I'm also going to post some position papers on some of the
important bills being discussed in the Legislature on my web page (select
the "Position Papers" link on my update page - www.infotrail.com/idaho).
You can contact me via e-mail at ttrail@house.state.id.us or phone
208-332-1202.

Rep. Tom Trail/Dist. 5