School Board Meeting 1-22

Dear Visionaries

Well, the administrative council made its reccomendations to the school
board tonight.   The budget crisis has brought us `an exciting opportunity'
to eliminate West Park as a neighborhood school, and put in place a
`Kindergarten Center'.   I would presume this  means we would no longer
utilize the free space allocated by the University Of Idaho for our
Kindergarten.  Instead, we are going to eviscerate a school community to put
all of the Kindergartners in one place.    The school district is also
apparently planning to go into the daycare business, and use any extra space
at the school for daycare.  How many of the teachers currently on the
elimination list have credentials for early childhood education?

There were several questions that remain unanswered about this proposal.  Dr
Fisk assured the entire audience that `there are very good reasons this was
the best option of all those considered.'    He declined to enlighten us on
those reasons, but stated that he will do so immediately before the comment
session on January 28.   It couldn't be that listing those reasons tonight
would give the patrons a little more time to verify or dispute the logic,
could it?

One question is exactly HOW does shipping our kids in grades 1-6 all over
town save the district money?  If it was lodging the kids all withing grade
level schools, ie K-1, 2-3 and 4-6, etc, I could see the logic.  I wouldn't
agree with it, but I could follow that.  Have the transportation costs and
liability been figured into the equation?  What about the families that
cannot attend school functions if they are held out of our area?

 I am aware that walking to school, or riding a bike, gives my children some
badly-needed physical activity before they get to class.  It helps them, and
helps the teacher.  What accomodations can be made so my kid arrives at
school ready to learn?  With an environmental and fiscally prudent focus,  I
see big problems with busing a kid across town only  to have the school pay
for a staff member to oversee the physical activity.

Will the school district re-draw the district lines so kids from our area
can attend the nearest school? This seems only fair.  I'm not sure the folks
at Lena or Russell would like to be shoved to a school farther east to make
room for our kids.

Other than being forced to `put up with' our kids, what sacrifices are the
other 3 elementary schools making in this budget crisis?   I have seen the
sacrifices proposed at the high school and Junior High, as well as in
activities.  However, I saw no such list for the other  3 elementary schools.

Has it been considered how many kids living within the district will be
removed to a school of their parent's  choice?  If we moved into this area
because of the neighborhood  school, and we did, removing that school
removes many of my ties to the public school.  How many students will be
lost to other situations, and how will that affect the school financing?

Don't tell me about mitigating the damage. I would like to see a list of the
BENEFITS to the kids in grades 1-6, being removed from their neighborhood
school.   With any decision like this, the benefits must be weighed against
the cost.  If there are no discernible benefits, perhaps another option
shoud be considered?

I trust the teachers with whom I come in contact because they know my child.
I don't beleive the administrators do, so I cannot assume they will watch
out for him/her.   How will you convince me, and the other parents, that
this is in their best interest?   Under these circumstances, I will be a
`tough sell.'

Speaking of these highly professinal people, when are the teachers going to
be asked for their suggestions on reducing the impact of this crisis?   If I
want to know how my kid in functioning in the school, or if I want
interpretation of the latest test scores, I go to the teacher.  If I want an
idea of how I can help the school, I will also return to these
professionals.  I am sorry, but they are the people I know and trust in this
`community'.  So, why hasn't the district asked their own employees for
their ideas?  Wouldn't you think  those whose jobs are on the line might
come up with some pretty innovative suggestions?

I appreciate the gravity of the current budget crisis.   It is unfortunate
that the presentation tonight did nothing to reassure me that the district
is truly going to do its best for the kids at West Park.  I  hope the school
board can find the best alternatives for ALL of the children in this
district.  I also look for signs of trust and cooperation between the board,
teachers and administrators. Until that happens, I am afraid I shall lodge
my trust with the professionals I work with on a day to day basis.

Sincerely, Susan Rounds

Back to TOC