Who is Ivan?

At 08:34 AM 1/6/2002 -0500, Nance Ceccarelli wrote:
>Who is IVAN?  and why do I (via the vision 2020 mail list) continue to receive
>emails that make absolutely no sense to me???  I keep reading that these are
>"re: >>>topic of interest<<<" - and then find out that it is a waste of my
>time.  PLEASE STOP - or be selective in your "to" line.

According to the "Who Is Listening" page of Vision 2020,
cyclone@panet.co.yu has "No Name Available."  The email address is from
Yugoslavia, although this may be faked.

It is my belief that Ivan is either a spammer (purveyor of unsolicited
commercial email), or someone with a virus on his computer, or both.  There
are cases where list serves (like Vision 2020) and moderated email
newsletters are targeted by spammers, as they are a rich source of active
email addresses.

Here is some advice that will reduce the problem, but not eliminate it:

Don't cc: (send a copy to) someone who is already on the list.  This will
result in them receiving two emails, one addressed to v2020, and one
addressed directly to them.  And then they'll probably receive double the
messages from Ivan and his ilk.

Don't include email addresses in the body of the message you
send.  Including cyclone@panet.co.yu, for instance, might guarantee that
Ivan sends one of these obnoxious emails to himself (although the email
address is probably a fake).

There are some technical solutions to reduce the use of list serves by
spammers, but most system administrators and moderators don't have -- or
take -- the time to implement them.

The "List Maintainer" of Vision 2020 can be reached at
owner-vision2020@moscow.com.  While v2020 is an unmoderated list, I think
it is reasonable to point out any misuse of the list, technical problems,
apparent spammers & virus-plagued list members, etc., to the List Moderator.

Those of you with more interest or technical expertise in this issue might
like to see the documents posted at
http://blank.org/memory/busted/index2.htm.  Briefly, a group of spammers
was causing difficulties for an Internet Service Provider, so he hacked
into their computers, disabled their spamming software, and copied their
internal documents, posting them on the Internet to expose and embarrass
them.  "Not exactly legal," but fascinating.

Enjoy,

Bob Hoffmann
846 Mabelle St.
Moscow, ID  83843