RE: this applies to Iran and Iraq as well!

I have to agree with Shahab here.  I think it was a fairly sophmoric move
on Mr. Walter Steed's part to put words in someones mouth and basically
accuse them of being unpatriotic.  If that is really what you got out of
this thread Walter (if I may), then I suggest you read it again.  The U.S.
is far from innocent when it comes to the reasons many middle-eastern
countries loathe us.  The mass media, as usual, is doing a grandiose job
of avoiding all the logical reasons anyone would have for wanting to
attack us.  I was really disappointed that all Dan Rather could come up
with on the Letterman interview was to categorically call all of the
perpetrators of this act "madmen, and who can explain evil?"  There is so
much more to it, and he well knows it.  The US practically made famous the
idea of jihad when it propped up the very person we are now equating with
the devil (Bin Laden vs Russia).  Now the govt and the media will attempt
to redefine the term jihad into something evil in order to rally support
against it.

  Alas, we are now already set upon a path, whatever it may be, that the
government has laid out.  I doubt any voices of dissension will be heard
amongst the gunfire and bombings... and I'm sure the "radical muslim
fringe" could use another martyr anyway.

           Clint "Tex" Payton
       email: tex@kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu

Back to TOC