From: Bill London [mailto:london@moscow.com]
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2001 3:53 PM
To: Tom Trail
Cc: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: Re: Sept 12th Air Pollution

Tom-
I am glad you say the Idaho Legislature will be looking at some stringent
guidelines for field-burning.  Please keep us informed about that.
I thought it the height of hypocracy for Gov. Kempthorne to get the
field-burning stopped for the Governors' Conference at Coeur d'Alene and not
listen to Idaho citizens concerns about the dangers of smoke.
BL

Tom Trail wrote:

> >Visionnaries--we experienced severe air pollution the afternoon and early
> >evening of the 12th.
> Julie Pipal of the Idaho Dept. of Agriculture sent me this message about
> the source of the
> pollution; however, there still appears to be a mystery since the acreage
> mentioned seems too small
> to cover a 5 county area.   Several authorities indicated with the wind we
> also picked up quite a
> bit of dust.   We will be looking at some new rules which will be more
> stringent in terms
> of guidelines for burning fields during the next legislative session.
>
> Rep. Tom Trail
> >
> >Rep. Trail:
> >
> >Today I learned that two 1/2-acre parcels and one 4-acre parcel in
Benewah
> >county and on tribal ground were burned two days ago.  Those fires
escaped
> >into timber land.  At this time we do not know if it was private or
public
> >timber land.  Incidentally, meteorological conditions were unusual when
the
> >fires escaped as the wind was blowing south instead of north.
> >
> >Also, because of the particulate conditions, there was an air stagnation
> >advisory issued for the Clearwater airshed, which is Nez Perce, Latah,
> >Idaho, Lewis and Clearwater counties.  The advisory was lifted this
morning
> >by DEQ because air quality conditions had returned to the "good" range.
> >
> >To our knowledge, there was no approved burning conducted in Latah county
> >yesterday.
> >
> >Sincerely,
> >Julie Pipal
> > Idaho Dept. of Agriculture