THE CITY THIS WEEK: AN OCCASIONAL VIEW FROM A COUNCIL MEMBER August 20-27, 2001

THE CITY THIS WEEK: AN OCCASIONAL VIEW FROM A COUNCIL MEMBER August 20-27, 2001

Dear Visionaries,

The heat is off and it is truly delightful! Moscow’s Farmer’s Market had the blues Saturday, thanks to a great harmonica player, and the reds, thanks to fresh tomatoes and bright flowers. Lots of people were there, new babies included. Congratulations to all proud parents, including Krista and Nils.

If you didn’t make it, Moscow’s weekly party will be happening again next Saturday from 8 until noon, just waiting for you to join us. Thanks to the Arts Commission for your continuing great work in coordinating this great feature of Moscow!

CITY COUNCIL MEETING MONDAY NIGHT, 8/20, 7:30 PM, CITY HALL

The long-awaited plan for landscaping of the Palouse Mall will be discussed at this meeting. From what I hear on the street, in the coffee shops and from Vision2020, there is a ton of interest. I, for one, am anxious to retain the notion (that was part of the original discussion back in the 1970s) of ‘screen.’ The landscaping along the highway was to screen the development from the highway and the wisdom of that viewpoint continues.

What this means, among other things, is the conservation of those trees and shrubs that made it through the ‘Moscow slasher’ event and integration of those plants with additional, larger plants that improve the look and encourage the purpose of the ‘green screen.’ The new plants can certainly be more mature plants, creating some greater impact right now, particularly in view of the way the other plantings were removed.

It is no secret that a major commercial installation is adjacent to the highway, even if a forty foot solid wall of conifers were at the edge. I also remember a major flap when the mall proposed to erect a time and temperature sign and remove several mature tall trees so we could see the sign in all its glory. The proposal and the sign both went away after a public outcry. I believe that we need to honor the desire for high quality landscaping on this strip… indeed, I wish the University Inn would get the planting bug as well. It could certainly use some additions to the green sward in front of its building.

Also, there appears to be a ‘no man’s land’ between the University Inn and the Zip Trip on the highway that had several trees whacked about two feet from the ground and very little positive attention to what’s left. Maybe this could get some effort, too?

Another important issue that deserves discussion is the use of water for the planting strip. We are trying to get a handle on our pumping rate from our aquifer that has finite capacity. Can the irrigation for the mall strip be connected to ‘gray water?’ Or could we benefit from xeriscaping? The existing (I should say ‘remaining’) trees have managed with what appears to have been mostly benevolent disregard through the varieties of weather of the past 25 years. There are lessons here to learn.

Library Budget Hearing…

At the Market recently, one Moscow resident expressed a great deal of dissatisfaction with the way in which the City’s budget process was conducted. His concerns included publicity about the process, accessible information about budget proposals and the way in which the budget workshop and later hearing before the Council was conducted. We can always improve and certainly the budget is one of those areas where peoples’ eyes tend to glaze over and one starts wondering about why reading the classified car ads is more interesting. Still, the numbers and the calculations of public budget making set the agenda for what we can do and how much we have to do it with.

In this spirit, the Latah County Library District is having their budget hearing Tuesday afternoon at 5:30 P.M. in the library board room. The invitation that came to me included the following:

"Some items for you to note for the 2002 budget include an estimated
increase in revenue of 2.7 percent, approximately 2.6 percent increase in
staff salaries, and a 2.8 percent increase in operating expenses with no
funds left to increase the expense for library materials." I believe the library board will take their allowable property tax increase. I support this because of the excellent job they do in providing services for the entire county, including Moscow. Remember, the City supplies the main library building on Jefferson and we’re glad to do it!

If you love your library (as I do), try to attend.

Paradise Path on the Road…

The Paradise Path Task Force will have a table at the University of Idaho Palousafest Saturday, August 25 from 4 PM until whenever (I think 7 PM). We’ll be introducing new students and old friends to the pieces of the path that are ready to enjoy right now and the projects we have coming up this year. We’ll be looking for some help on various fall planting (and weeding!) projects. This will be held next to the University Commons… challenge the parking crunch and come see us!

Smart Palouse…

In my last posting I forgot to cheer about this great planning event. ‘Smart Palouse" is ‘a dedicated regional community coalition that educates, plans and leverages resources to enable telecommunication services that are economically viable and affordable for the enhancement of our social and economic development,’ according to the group’s mission statement.

The group includes stakeholders, information providers, local government, industry representatives, and the big guys on the block, the universities. We’re looking at how to maximize our information highway off-ramps and make the most of our position as a knowledge capitol, thanks to UI and WSU. At the same time, people like me are concerned that we bridge the ‘digital divide,’ that barrier between the information rich and those who have yet to connect to the riches of modern communication.

Stay tuned for more on this group. They are committed to holding their meetings in public and soliciting the energy and innovation of the community. Indeed, it was the spirit of the conversation at the planning session that only with such openness would the group succeed in its mission!

That’s it for this week… one more glorious week before school starts… we hope. Good luck to teachers and school board so that you can come to an equitable resolution…

All the best,

Linda Pall

Moscow City Council

THE CITY THIS WEEK Aug 20-27, 2001.doc