MAC Band needs musicians

Calling all former high school and college band members:  The Moscow
Arts Commission Band needs you!

I attended the group's first rehearsal on Tuesday evening.  There was an
abundance of trumpets and trombones, but not a single saxophone!   And
most other sections are light on players.  I was the only French horn,
and I'm going to be gone for two weeks in June.

If you're not familiar with the MAC Band, it's a recent Moscow
tradition, revived in the mid-1980s.  The current director is Gary
Gemberling, director of bands at Lewiston High School.

We rehearse every Tuesday at 7 at the University of Idaho music building
(room 216) and play every Thursday in June (plus July 6) in East City
Park.  The first concert is this Thursday (June 1) starting at 6:30.
We'll play as long as it's not actually raining at concert time.  (Bring
a lawn chair if the grass is wet.)

The best thing about the band is that it's for all ages -- grade school
through senior citizens.  No audition is required.  We play a mix of
Broadway show tunes, folk songs, adaptations of popular songs and at
least one Sousa march every concert.  We start with pretty easy material
(junior high level) and work our way up to some challenging pieces by
our last few concerts.

In addition to saxophones and French horns, we especially need flutes,
clarinets, percussionists, and another tuba.  So even if you haven't
played your instrument in years, dust it off and bring it to the park.
If you're a good sight-reader, you can even join us on stage this
Thursday.

Concert dates are: June 1, 8, 15, 22 and 29, and July 4 and 6.  We also
have been invited to play in teh Community Band Festival in Lewiston on
June 17.

More information is available from Gary Gemberling (208) 743-3899 or
gemberling@valint.net, or Mary Bluth (director of the Arts Commission)
at 883-7036.

Please join us in the park Thursday evenings -- either as a player or in
the audience.
--Kenton

Back to TOC