Re: Do the Right Thing

Well said, Bob!
The issue is Mumia's right to a fair trial. It's next
to impossible to look at what happened during his
so-called trials and not admit that he deserves a new
one.

I'd like to add a little on Mumia's pre-conviction
"celebrity status" that Bob mentioned. I believe it
sheds quite a bit of light on why his trial went the
way it did.

As some may remember, before Mumia's arrest there was
a situation in Philadelphia many have called the
"Black Waco," in which the Philly police department
got involved in a siege situation with members of
MOVE(a black radical/social movement.) The police
screwed up. They were responsible for resorting to the
use of incendiary bombs on the home of the MOVE
members--killing many of them and burning down an
entire city block of row houses in that Philadelphia
neighborhood.

Mumia, a MOVE supporter and journalist, followed this
story tirelessly. A talented journalist showing the
needlessness of this death and destruction--was not
something the Philadelphia Police pros were at all
receptive to--no more than the FBI was receptive to
investigation of their more recent outrageous and
deadly Waco assault. It's not at all paranoid to
suggest then, that the police and prosecutorial
establishment in Philadelphia--with the Frank Rizzo
mindset still alive--would have liked nothing better
to see Mumia behind bars. Or dead.

Just some more background that needs to be considered
as to why Mumia's situation is a cause not just
another case.
TL