Re: Joint Meeting of P&Z and Tree Committee

I view this meeting cancellation as evidence of the value of Vision 2020....

This meeting about the Mall/UI plan to cut trees was cancelled because the
UI decided not to present the final plan that was negotiated between the UI
and the Mall ownership.  Previously, the UI was willing to serve as an
apologist for the Mall and this tree-cutting plan.

However, after Jim Fazio, et al, publicized this plan and its effect by
alerting the V2020 list, the groundswell of public indignation even reached
into the upper administration of the UI.

The UI decided to cancel the final plan, and cancel the meeting.  The next
plan will certainly be more tree-friendly.

V2020 served us well as a kind of early-warning system.  V2020 alerted
enough people who sent enough emails or made enough calls so that the UI
backed off--and so that the local media picked up on the contraversy (it
was, by then, news since so many people were involved.)

I thank all who participated in this process so far (remember it's not over
yet).
BL