Completely related to everything important

This issue is, of course, much greater than a single low-resolution camera
pointing at a less-than bustling intersection in Moscow.  Our lives and
personal data are increasingly collected, collated, analyzed, and munged by
those with the wherewithal to do so.

Frequent contributors to Vision 2020 are already leaving a significant
public diary in the v2020 archives.  Certainly an enterprising individual
could find other references online to Bill London, Tim Hillebrand, Ken
Medlin, Priscilla Salant, Bob Hoffmann, and others.  People with a little
more money & savvy could go to credit agencies, banks, state & federal Web
sites, private investigators, online profile aggregators (they know where'
you've been surfing, and what you've bought online), etc., to paint one
hell of a picture of us.  The capability of collecting and compiling this
data is becoming more powerful and less expensive every day.

Might I one day be denied a Chevron credit card (or charged a higher
interest rate) because I've criticized Chevron in this forum?  Might
someone defending homosexuals be denied health or life insurance, because
they are considered at high risk of AIDS?  Could someone have their house
raided by the police after posting a message supporting drug
decriminalization?  Could conservatives and gun-owners be identified online
and rounded up after the vast left-wing conspiracy declares martial law?

Crazier things have happened.  I, for one, am glad that the camera on Main
Street, and others like it, cannot identify me and allow my movements to be
correlated with other available data.  But if this ever happens, be aware
that it is only an incremental advance in the loss of privacy in our culture.

Let the buyer, poster, surfer, driver, hunter, and taxpayer beware.

Bob Hoffmann
229 East C St., Suite B
Moscow, ID  83843  USA
Phone: (208) 883-0642