Hager Lake asphalt plant

As some of you may know, my wife and I own 60 acres in Bonner county Idaho.  This is the site of Hager Lake and fen, a unique wetland and kettle lake.  It is in the Grizzly Bear Recovery Area east of Priest Lake.  We have signed a conservation easement over the property with The Nature Conservancy.

We were notified on Saturday that our next door neighbor intends to install a "temporary asphalt concrete batch plant" less than 1/4 mile from the lake!

It would be great if you could send comments regarding this proposed plant to:

Bonner County Planning Department
127 S. First Ave.
Sandpoint, Idaho 83843

fax: (208) 265-1463

e-mail rwall@co.bonner.id.us

Please send comments asap, as the public hearing is scheduled for May 18th and comments should be received ten days prior (i.e. May 8th !).

The proposed plant, and subsequent commercial development (rumor has it the owner intends to build rental storage units on the site), will be detrimental to the ecology of the lake and fen.  Non-permitted construction and gravel pit operations on the site have already backed up the natural drainage of the wetland, resulting in surface run-off flowing into Hager Lake from the proposed plant location.  Normal drainage of the lake and wetland system is from the lake to the north across the wetland (ditched by the applicant in 1988), right past the site of the proposed asphalt plant.  Truck traffic to and from the site has already caused mud to flow into Kalispell Creek to the immediate north of the site.

Fourteen (14) species of native plants have been lost from the property since Jack Rumley studied the site in the 1950's (Bursik and Mosley, 1992.  Forty-year changes in Hager Lake Fen, Bonner County, Idaho.  Idaho Fish and Game Conservation Data Center, Boise, Idaho).  Current flora consists of 74 vascular and bryophyte species, documented by Bursik and Mosley in the cited publication. (see http://www.state.id.us/fishgame/5wlist.htm ).  During the past forty years, weedy species have invaded the site along disturbed ground and drainage ditches dug by the applicant's family.  The proposed asphalt plant would certainly introduce additional weedy species which will further degrade the ecology of the site.

Currently, there are no industrial developments of any sort between the towns of Priest Lake and Nordman, Idaho.  This development is completely out of character for this location.  Preservation of the rural nature of this pristine area alone dictates denial of the permit requested, as well as enforcement of zoning laws which have been ignored by the parties requesting the permit.  The county is very interested in fostering the tourist industry.  Industrial and commercial development of this nature will not attract outdoor lovers.

This site has been the subject of scientific study for more than 70 years, and was nominated for National Natural Landmark status in 1975 by E.G. Bizeau and R. Daubenmire, who felt the area "absolutely unique" because of the existence of both fen and bog on one ecosystem.

Please forward this e-mail and to others who would be concerned to lose the ecological significance of this site.

Thank you,
Archie George
1891 Conestoga Road
Moscow Idaho 83843