Re: Gas Prices

The only way to have the retailers explain their Moscow-Pullman prices is
to "request" them, the jobbers who deliver the stuff, and the tanker
unloaders in Seattle and Portland what the price is prior to Fed/State
taxes. I succeeded thru a Lewiston Station ($l.32) to find out that the
wholesale price (truck-delivered off the barges coming up the
Snake/Columbia Rivers) he pays is $l.24, including taxes, and marks it up
8 cents a gallon -- which is a pretty slim margin. I asked why, and the
parent company spokesperson said, "We believe in being fair to the
consumers." (direct quote). This company is headquartered in Brigham
City, UT, but they purchase their gasoline out of Seattle or Portland,
from the tankers. Now, if our own local dealers must charge 13 - 14 cents
(l0%) more to come "up the hill" or over from Spokane, then we consumers
ought to be able to do our own arithmetic, because freight charges are
still regulated by, I do beleive, or at least must be filed with, the
State DOT. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last January we put in two calls to  Moscow's Busch Distributors,
Inc.(specifically, to Steve,. a council candidate), asking for a little
information about these matters. Our phone calls were never returned,
after being screened by their receptionist. Similar behaviors marked our
inquiries to other wholesalers/retailors in the Moscow-Pullman area (an
email report was sent out on this, giving details, in early February).
     "The people can not remain both free and ignorant," said one of our
Founding Fathers. But these days he doesn't seem to have many descendants
around here. To charge what the market can bear may be O.K. for those who
control the economic enterprises, but I doubt very much if such a policy
is fair or worthy of respect from a community standpoint Those who care
about such issues are encouraged to make their own inquiries. I've done
mine. Thanks for your interest!

William K. Medlin
Dev-plan associates
930 Kenneth Street